New public art project announced
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FROM WELLINGTON ARTISTS
The Ghuznee St Art Billboard is an exciting new public art initiative located in the heart of Wellington’s arts quarter.
Applications are now sought from Wellington based artists to create a large scale temporary public art work for the billboard, which is sited above the courtyard of Bartley + Company Art and visible from Ghuznee St and Glover Park. This new public art commission follows on from the success of billboard projects undertaken with photographer Anne Noble in late 2009 and artist Andre Hemer in mid 2010 (Hemer’s work is currently visible at the site).
The billboard project is designed to:
- Provide a unique opportunity for artists to intervene in and subvert the predominantly commercial nature of the city’s visual culture;
- Offer thoughtful propositions that will enrich the urban environment;
- Support the production of challenging new contemporary art by local artists; and
- Reach a wide range of audiences, including those who do not normally visit galleries or participate in art activities.
The commission is open to all Wellington based artists. Three proposals will be selected by a panel of arts professionals. Each billboard will be up for three months, allowing for a series of three to run for a year, from late 2010 – mid 2011. The commission covers the costs of the billboard frame, printing, installation, signage and lighting. An artists’ fee is also offered to the successful applicants. Billboard dimensions: 2 metres high x 4 metres wide.
Proposals are due by 5pm, Friday 5 November 2010.
Proposals should include:
- An outline of your proposed work for the billboard – please include working drawings or research images if appropriate
- Why you want the commission
- How the proposed work fits within or extends your current body of work
- A brief bio
- Images of past work
- Your contact details
- Please indicate your preference for timing of the commission, should you be successful: summer 2010/11, autumn 2011 or winter 2011
Please limit your proposal to no more than 2 x A4 pages (excluding images).
Please note: new and existing works will be considered, as long as they fit the aims and scale of the billboard project.
Questions? Please email email@example.com or phone 04 802 4622.
Please send your proposal to:
Post: PO Box 6357, Wellington
Deliver: Bartley + Company Art, 56A Ghuznee St, Wellington
Applications are due by 5pm, Friday 5 November 2010. Proposals received after this date will not be considered. Please do not post original materials, as we cannot accept liability for their safe return. The selection panel will inform all applicants of their decisions no later than Friday 19 November 2010.
The Ghuznee St Art Billboard is managed by Alison Bartley, sponsored by Bartley + Company Art and funded by the Wellington City Council Creative Communities Scheme.
For more information please contact: Alison Bartley
T: 04 802 4622