Story is central to everything we do. Humans have been telling stories around campfires and kitchen tables from time immemorial.
Doc Edge Exhibition showcases new forms of storytelling using evolving digital technologies. Our kaupapa is to present new immersive story worlds where audiences can participate and experience storytelling.
The 3rd Doc Edge Exhibition features a selection of 14 international experiences covering VR, AR and installations, as well as digital interactive projects.
Admission to this year’s exhibition is free in both Auckland and Wellington.
Artificial World by Bas Jansen, NED
• Dok Leipzig 2018
• People create an AI computer to restore balance on earth, but it acts like a creator. Do we want this? Is there still a place for humans?
Aurora by Aoífe Doyle, IRE
• Film Winner, Infinity Film Festival 2018
• In this rich, cinematic, animated VR short, the audience experiences the majesty of nature.
A Cochlear Implant by Eric Giessmann, GER
• Finalist, Riga Digital Forum 2018
• A short infographic.
Ghost Fleet VR by Lucas Gath, Shannon Service, USA
• Sundance Film Festival, (the feature version of Ghost Fleet screens in Doc Edge 2019)
• Tun Lin was kidnapped and spent 14 years in slavery on a fishing vessel.
The Green Line by Ioannis Bekiaris and Alexis Mavros, CYP
• Cannes Film Festival 2018
• In 1974, Turkey invaded Cyprus. Ever since, a UN buffer zone separates Greek and Turkish Cypriots.
Level of Confidence (Nivel de Confianza) by Rafael Lozano-Hemmer, MEX
• Facial recognition compares viewers with the faces of 43 disappeared students from Mexico.
Life Underground by Hervé Cohen, FRA
• An interactive web documentary that invites visitors on a cinematic journey into the subways of the world.
• Hervé Cohen in attendance.
Overlooked by Carlos Oceguera, CAN
• Vancouver International Film Festival 2018
• Death and horror lurk around every bend for the homeless in downtown Vancouver.
Paris Terror by Ricarda Saleh, GER
• The stories of survivors of the anti-Semitic attack in Paris on 9 January 2015, two days after the Charlie Hebdo attack.
Plomo - Journey Of A Bullet by Giulia Jimenez, USA
• Atlanta Film Festival 2019
• In this 360 experience you are a bullet, fired by a policeman into the middle of a protesting crowd.
RocketMan 360 by Millo Simulov, RON
• Sundance Film Festival 2019
• A few minutes before taking off to Mars, an astronaut receives a 360 video from his girlfriend...
Rooms by Christian Zipfel, GER
• 75th Venice International Film Festival
• Rooms are defined as a social construct, not just spaces framed by walls. What functions do they have?
The Spacewalker VR by Alexander Gorokhov, RUS
• Cannes Film Festival
• Strap into a rocket ship and blast off to recreate the first space-walk.
Travelling While Black by Roger Ross Williams, Félix Lajeunesse, Paul Raphaël, Ayesha Nadarajah, USA
• Sundance Film Festival
• An emotionally moving VR experience about race and restricted movement in America.