ScreenTalk: John Laing
Veteran producer/director John Laing has worked in film and television in New Zealand, Canada and the UK. His feature films include the Arthur Allan Thomas-inspired Beyond Reasonable Doubt, cross-cultural romance Other Halves and thriller Dangerous Orphans.
Laing has also directed a long list of popular drama series for TV, including Go Girls, Nothing Trivial, Street Legal, Inside Straight and Marlin Bay; plus tele-feature Safe House.
In this ScreenTalk, Laing talks about:
- Upsetting the National Film Unit with his unconventional film Kariotahi Beach
- Learning how to direct a feature film on the set of Beyond Reasonable Doubt
- Taking on too many roles on offbeat thriller The Lost Tribe
- Getting back to basic story-telling on Inside Straight
- Being unhappy with the end result on feature film Other Halves
- Relishing the prospect of creating film noir feature Dangerous Orphans
- The challenge of juggling different directors on Outrageous Fortune
- Creating an 'intense' set for tele-feature Safe House
NZ On Screen: Camera and Editing – Andrew Whiteside