ScreenTalk: Mark Hadlow
Actor Tandi Wright once called Mark Hadlow "the best physical comedian I've ever seen".
Hadlow first appeared on our TV screens as a teenage bully in Children of Fire Mountain.
Later he worked alongside Ilona Rodgers and Billy T James in the sitcom version of The Billy T James Show. His flair for comedy earned him starring roles in the film Just Me and Mario, and TV series Willy Nilly. Hadlow has worked twice with director Peter Jackson – first providing voices to a range of characters in Meet the Feebles, and then playing both a dwarf and a troll in The Hobbit trilogy.
In this ScreenTalk, Hadlow talks about:
- Turning disappointment into triumph with Children of Fire Mountain
- Being hospitalised after an accident on set
- Working hard in the starring role of film Just Me and Mario
- Having fun playing a dopey Australian on The Billy T James Show
- Being nominated for a 'best actress' award after playing a hippo and a hedgehog in Meet the Feebles
- Never having a bad day on the set of Willy Nilly
- How co-star Sean Duffy influenced him on the show
- The best six weeks of his life: rehearsing for King Kong with Naomi Watts
- Bringing Bert the Troll to life in The Hobbit
- Being teased mercilessly by fellow actor Martin Freeman
NZ On Screen: Camera and Editing – Andrew Whiteside