Communications & Publications Manager / Gallery Administrator
This role has two equally important points of focus: firstly to generate engagement and promote Enjoy, to solicit writing, publications and publicity about Enjoy’s programme and secondly to support the Curator/Manager in the day-to-day administration of the gallery, upholding the aims and values outlined in the Enjoy Vision and Mission statements below:
Enjoy generates and facilitates contemporary art projects to promote the discourse of contemporary art practice in all its forms.
Enjoy is liberated from commercial constraints in order to provide both emerging and established practitioners with opportunities to develop innovative work. Enjoy works to provide the necessary critical support, resources, and audience development to realise quality projects in dialogue with contemporary practice both nationally and internationally.
You will work closely with the Curator/Manager and Trustees to promote and publicise Enjoy’s programme. You will build relationships with media groups and key arts and cultural organizations. You will also be responsible for Enjoy’s online presence, including being confident in, managing, publishing to and updating the Enjoy website www.enjoy.org.nz, the gallery’s blog and social media presence.
You will work with the Curator/Manager and Trustees to develop ideas for Enjoy publications in print and online. You will personally oversee these projects through the process of commissioning, editing, proofing, design, printing and distribution – working with a range of contributors including artists, writers, and designers and consulting with the Enjoy Trust regarding publications.
Alongside these activities you will provide administrative support for the everyday running of Enjoy’s programme as directed by the Curator/Manager and Trustees. You will also be responsible for running the Enjoy volunteer base and internship programme.
Key Skills and Experience:
The successful applicant will have:
- An interest in and engagement with contemporary art, in both a national and international context
- A relevant tertiary qualification in eg, fine or visual arts, museum studies, art history, publishing/communications, or creative writing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including editing experience
- Proven experience and knowledge of the publication production process
- The ability to manage other contributors to projects, including writers and designers
- A good working understanding of the web including web maintenance skills and familiarity with social media applications such as Facebook and Twitter. Advanced web skills would also be a bonus.
- Computer skills: including a solid knowledge of word processing programmes. Familiarity with Excel and Photoshop would be a plus.
- An understanding of basic budget processes
- Basic exhibition and gallery installation skills
- Excellent time management skills and an ability to plan and execute tasks
- Excellent self motivation and the ability to work both autonomously, and as part of a small, but energetic and committed team
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Solicit and produce written critical responses to Enjoy projects and events as required
- Coordinate high-quality documentation of all projects and events
- Lead the development of new and ongoing publication projects
- Implement publication strategies in conjunction with the Curator/Gallery Manager and Trust
- Develop and implement publication timetables and budgets in liaison with the Curator/Gallery Manager
- Co-ordinate the production and distribution of Enjoy publications both online or in print, sourcing new retail opportunities and new online publishing strategies.
- Develop and implement a marketing and publicity plan in consultation with the Curator/Gallery Manager
- Manage the website and blog and make regular updates via Facebook and Twitter
- Maintain databases of media contacts, Enjoy supporters, and key community contacts
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including the media and arts community
- Liaise with the Curator/Gallery Manager, designers and artists to develop promotional information for projects and events, including writing promotional text and sourcing images from artists
- Proactively initiate publicity of Enjoy and its programme by liaising with the media, seeking new audiences and publication opportunities both locally, nationally and internationally
- Manage both the online and physical exhibition and media archives
- Co-ordinate the production and distribution of exhibition and event fliers
General/Administrative Support Tasks:
- Assist the Curator/Gallery Manager with general tasks and administrative duties, including funding applications and reports
- Be available for occasional gallery sitting
- Contribute to, respect and support group decision making processes when they arise
- Maintain excellent time management and future planning skills
- Display excellent team and problem-solving skills: work respectfully with the Curator/Gallery Manager and Trust to resolve challenges as they arise
- Be willing to complete any other tasks as requested by the Trust and Curator/Gallery Manager
- Co-ordinate Enjoy’s volunteer base and internship programme.
- Attend board meetings, liaise and report regularly to the Curator/Gallery Manager and Trustees of Enjoy
- Assist with the organization of and attend public events after business hours at Enjoy and in other locations as required.
Applications close at 5pm on 25 Janurary 2012.
To apply please email your current CV and a brief cover letter to email@example.com
Please see above