Manager Maori Development
Do you love the taonga and stories that museums hold?
Do you want to support and enable Auckland Museum to care for our taonga and stories in a way that is guided by a strong Māori approach?
Tāmaki Paenga Hira: Tui tui hono tangata, whenua me te moana.
Ko Tāmaki Paenga Hira, hewaengarahi ake, he ngakau mahaki mo te kaitiakitanga taonga pū korero, pakiwaitara, korero tipua ano hoki mai i ngā kai para korero.
Auckland Museum is committed to developing and sharing engaging content through its galleries, exhibition, events and educational programmes and providing strong management of the taonga we care for underpinned by Te Kōrahi Māori.
An opportunity exists for a highly motivated and thoughtful (fixed term 1 April 2013 to 10 October 2014) Māori Development Manager to join Auckland Museum at an exciting time of redevelopment and renewal. The role will see you working across the Museum to embed the Museum’s Māori strategic direction, Te Kōrahi Māori. You will work with the Tumuaki Director Māori to provide advice to other managers, business areas and staff on implementing Te Kōrahi Māori. Equally, you will be responsible for co-ordination of Māori-related policies, projects and activities.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Hold a university degree or post-graduate degree or diploma in Māori Studies, Museum Studies or other relevant area of study.
- Have strong written, verbal, analytical and reasoning skills including policy and report writing experience.
- Have an ability to make sense of information from a range of sources, and to know when and how to elevate issues (and possible solutions) as needed.
- Have experience in developing and successfully implementing Māori-related policy and practice in museums or similar organisations.
- Have at least intermediate proficiency of Te Reo and tikanga Māori and strong knowledge of iwi and Māori organisations, groups and networks across the Auckland region and Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Have strong local and/or government experience in the tourism or culture and heritage sector.
- Have public presentation skills.
You must be eligible to work in NZ to apply for this position.
See Job Description for details