Reports to: Director
Key relationships: Programme Manager, Engagement Manager, Curator, Contractors
Hours: 10 hours per week
Objectspace is a public gallery dedicated to positioning making in the fields of craft, applied arts and design, within a range of cultural, economic and social frameworks, in order to provoke new assessments about works and practices.
Through our programme of curated exhibitions, events, publications and partnerships we aim to create new opportunities for outstanding practitioners, and stimulate and develop a culture of critical discourse. As a leadership organisation we have a mandate to enhance the national and international profile of activity in the fields of craft, applied art and design. We provide professional development opportunities to makers, writers and curators with the aim of growing engagement with the sector as well as promoting connections between makers, writers, collectors and supporters.
Objectspace is undergoing a period of growth and change, 2016 will see the organisation significantly increase its role within the sector. We will be launching a new suite of projects and services which expands on the work that we do in the presentation of exhibitions, public programming, digital content, publications, and professional development.
As part of this development we are recruiting for the permanent part-time position of Technician to join our growing team. The position is currently 10 hours per week. The technician will work alongside Objectspace staff and contractors to assist in the technical delivery of our annual programme of exhibitions and events.
Key focus areas
- - Exhibition installation
- - Gallery maintenance
- - Exhibition lighting
- A collaborative outlook
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Self-motivated with the ability to work to deadlines effectively
- Resourceful and effective at problem solving
Key Skills and requirements
- Experience in object handling and the movement of artworks
- Experience and competency in light construction
- Competency in painting, installing artworks, applying vinyl graphics and labels
- Full driver’s license
- Competency in a range of hand-based power tools
- cabinetry and/or construction
- exhibition photography
- exhibition lighting
Hours of work: Due to the nature of the organisation and the exhibition timetable some flexibility with hours worked week to week is expected and some occasional evening or weekend work is required.
How to apply
Applications should be received no later than 5pm Wednesday 25 November 2015 to email@example.com and should comprise:
- A letter outlining the applicants fit in relation to the Technician role
- A copy of the applicant’s curriculum vitae and contact details for two referees