New Zealand Pacific Studio (NZPS) seeks a House Manager to assist with the support of artists-in-residence from August 2016. '
The applicant would be available for a minimum of 2-3 months.
NZPS offers a special creative practitioner the opportunity of longer-term accommodation, and the opportunity to engage with other national and international artists.
NZPS is a year-round multi-disciplinary residency centre in rural Wairarapa. NZPS comprises of a fully furnished historic villa (1911), various studio spaces, a library, cottage, sauna, gardens, and five acres of land. Nearby is Pukaha Mt Bruce National Wildlife Centre, to which you would have complimentary entry. To learn more about NZPS, please view our website (www.artistresidency.org.nz).
The live-in House Manager pays a rental for accommodation of $85 per week (the rate for other resident artists is $350/week).
As a resident tenant, you pursue your own work and voluntarily run the house so as to enable other visiting artists to do their own work.
The House Manager is in residence when other artists are in residence, for two to three weeks long, on average. NZPS can accommodate 4-5 residents at a time.
Between residencies, the House Manager may be the only resident, so you would need to be comfortable with sole occupancy from time-to-time. During these sole-occupancy periods, the House Manager can travel, if desired. However, applicants should be aware that residency bookings can change at short notice, so flexibility is required.
House Managers are typically the tenant of the Burton Room, with views of the garden views, the unique Oriel window, and an efficient fire, with kindling and firewood supplied. House Managers and other residents are welcome to utilise other areas of the centre when not in use.
All artists-in-residence, including the House Manager, cover the cost of their own food while in residence.
This opportunity would particularly suit a writer or artist with more modest space requirements, although a couple is a possibility.
KEY SKILLS / REQUIREMENTS:
• Ability to run an old house in a rural area on a daily basis.
• Dedication to one's own creative practice.
• Good organisational skills.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• NZ driver’s license (or International Driver’s Permit) and the ability to drive a manual car.
• Communicate with incoming and outgoing residents about their arrival and departure schedules.
• Use the NZPS vehicle (a manual/stick-shift) to collect and drop-off residents at train/bus/airport, usually in Masterton (20min drive) or Palmerston North (one hour away).
• Prepare bedrooms and studio spaces for residents (a cleaner is contracted weekly).
• Help set residents’ expectations on their arrival and provide House guidelines.
• Make shopping trips (approximately once a week) with residents and provide a modest level of local transport to support their projects.
• Assist residents with the finalisation of the set-up of their room/studio.
• Support and encourage the residents’ creative practice.
• Troubleshoot and problem-solve in liaison with NZPS colleagues.
• Liaise with NZPS colleagues in relation to events and outings.
• Issue exit survey to residents before their departure.
How to apply
Please apply by e-mail with the following in one document under 1mb: a covering letter stating why you are interested in this opportunity, CV, and two references that attest to your house management skills. Applications will be processed as received, so if you are a good candidate, you will be contacted shortly after you apply.
Send to email@example.com to the attention of Jean McCombie, Chair, NZ Pacific Studio