- The Open Studios Project is hosted by The ARTS VILLAGE - Creative Hands, Creative Hearts, Creative Minds
- The project has been running since 2011 and has in the past been sponsored by the Rotorua District Council, The Rotorua Energy Charitable Trust, Creative Communities Rotorua, The Southern Trust and the Rotorua Arts Village Trust.
- The Arts Village in Rotorua, New Zealand is currently looking for artists (visual, writers, musicians, designers etc) to participate in the Open Studios project 2016/2017.
- As a significant community art space in Rotorua, The Arts Village has a commitment to growing the arts and cultural sector of the community. This means actively leading or participating in the various arts and cultural projects in the local community. Also, supporting the growth of artists practice, developing audiences for arts and cultural activities, and supporting their continued learning through engagement with artists and their work.
- As a shared creative space, The Arts Village can sometimes be challenging for lone artists to access for individual projects, The Open Studios Project, in part, addresses this by providing exclusive access to our purpose built making spaces for a fixed period of time.
- This project is driven by the desire to develop the arts in our local region, to connect with wider audiences, and grow the creative reach locally.
The Arts Village invites local, regional, national and international artists to submit a proposal to take part in the Open Studios Project 2016/2017.
The theme of ‘Share & Innovate’ is our main focus for 2016/2017. This focus is closely aligned with The Arts Village Strategic Plan:
The residency provides a safe space for: artists to work with artists, the public to try their hand at something new and gives time for sharing not only of skills, but stories.
A challenge for artists to respond to through their practice – the project provides artists with the time to look reflectively at their practice, the space to test new ideas, peers to talk over concepts and techniques with, and an audience to inspire,
captivate, and work with.
The Open Studios Project also has three separate aims that we require applicants to explore within their chosen practice. All applicants are required to develop a project proposal that meets one or more of these aims:
- Audience Engagement
- Youth Engagement
- Collaboration & Sharing
These are open to artist interpretation and we suggest that applicants take their time to develop an idea that actively seeks to meet these criteria.
More information and the application form can be found online here: www.artsvillage.org.nz/s/Open-Studios-Guidelines-2016-2017-4a2t.pdf
The deadline for submissions is 2pm Saturday 12th November, 2016. Applicants must read our guidelines document thoroughly and submit their application in accordance with guidelines and on time in order to be considered.
For more info:
TEL: +64 7 343 7108
How to apply
- The residency period lasts for six weeks from 20th December 2016 though to 28th January 2017.
- Three artists will be selected from the pool of applicants. Those who apply will be
- notified of the decision by 5pm on Friday, 18th November 2016.
- The Open Studios Project is open to any community or individual art practice (in any medium).
- All spaces will be open to the public.
- Studio space will be allocated and
- offered in accordance with your proposed art project.
- Application deadline is 2pm on Saturday 12th November, 2016.
All Participants are expected to:
- Be on site Tuesday – Saturday every day (excepting public holidays)
- between 10am and 4pm.
- Participants are expected to carry out their proposed projects and at least one element that reaches the project aims.
- Participants can work together and
- collaboration is encouraged.
- Artists need to engage the public in their art project.
What is provided:
- A $2000 living stipend towards your living costs during the project.
- A $500 (inc. GST) materials grant to carry out your project with.
- Studio Space (and associated costs) for your exclusive use during the Open Studios Project.
- Internet access.
What is not provided:
- Materials or accommodation supplements outside of the above-mentioned grants
- Administrative support unless agreed before the project start date.
- Anyone who is willing and able to undertake the programme can apply (international artists are required to have a fluency in English).
- Successful applicants will enter into a contract with the Rotorua Arts Village Trust
- In applying to this programme applicants acknowledge that you have read and understood all of the conditions and expectations of the Open Studios Project
- Must not have previously been an artist-in-residence on this programme.
More information and the application form can be found online here: http://www.artsvillage.org.nz/osp