Now in its 21st year, Depot Artspace is a continually evolving, socially conscious creative community. It includes galleries, a recording studio, a professional development programme for artists, publications and myriad other creative initiatives.
We are seeking an engaging and astute person, passionate about the arts in a changing environment, and about offering outstanding care to artists and visitors, to join our committed team in the position of Gallery Manager. This is a full-time position from 6 February 2017 with a focus on the arts and community development.
If you value variety and challenge, are hardworking and able to adapt to an evolving role, would love to develop our exhibition programme and support other Depot initiatives, we invite you to apply for this position.
Key aspects of your role are to:
- Communicate your passion for NZ art and arts practice to our visitors and arts community
- Maintain and develop effective exhibition processes that provide successful exhibition experiences for both exhibitors and visitors.
The Gallery Manager will have an appreciation for and a general knowledge of NZ contemporary visual arts, and strong networks in the visual arts community, excellent administrative experience and a strong service background.
Essential Qualities required for the position:
- Passionate about offering outstanding care to Depot visitors and members, with an engaging and warm manner
- Outgoing, adaptable and committed to participating in The Depot’s creative activities
- Able to work collaboratively and independently
- Ability to display sound judgment, show initiative and assertive as required
Essential Skills required for the position
- Significant Volunteer or paid work history within arts organisations. (museum/gallery/artist-run space
- Highly organised with the ability to implement good operational systems and to plan, organise and schedule in an efficient, productive manner
- Demonstrated ability to build a variety of networks with artists and organisations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written
- Flexible approach to work schedule to meet varying requirements of exhibitions and other initiatives
- Coordination and training volunteer staff
Other Skills that would be an asset for the position
- Social media
- Adobe Suite (all or some components)
- Applying for funding and grants