The Whangarei Art Museum – Te Manawa Toi is looking to appoint a part-time Gallery Administrator (30 hours per week) to join its small and dedicated team. The Gallery Administrator provides a high level of administrative support for the museum and contributes actively to its work by ensuring the smooth running of its systems. This position is ideally suited to someone who has or is keen to develop knowledge of art museum/gallery work and to build experience in various aspects of museum/gallery administration, including promotion, communications, and relationship building; archives and record management; and office and financial administration systems.
Key Task Areas:
Gallery reception, financial administration, general administration support for curatorial and collections staff, assisting with events, archiving and records management, maintaining Friends and Supporters networks.
- A tertiary qualification in a related field at a minimum of Level 6.
- 1+ years’ experience in a museum or gallery environment and demonstrated knowledge of professional museum practices.
- Knowledge of New Zealand Art
- Administration experience
- Customer service experience
- Excellent computer skills across a wide range of Office applications
- Proven administration ability
- Proven reliability
- Very good interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups from the community-at-large (local, national, and international)
- Ability to prioritise a demanding workload, meet deadlines, and work flexibly under pressure.
- Able to work effectivity as part of a team.
- Able to work independently
- Degree in art history, fine arts, visual arts, design and or communication;
- Grant/funding application writing experience
- Experience in handling, moving and packing art objects.
- Event coordination or management experience