Are you interested in a key leadership role in a dynamic, developing NZ arts organisation representing Aotearoa nationally and internationally?
The New Zealand Dance Advancement Trust, the Charitable Trust operating The New Zealand Dance Company, seeks high quality applicants for the position as The New Zealand Dance Company’s General Manager.
The New Zealand Dance Company is a vibrant arts company funded at Kahikatea level (bi-annually) by Creative New Zealand. Our vision is the ongoing development of a sustainable, permanent, high-calibre dance company, with an Auckland home that contributes to the fabric of NZ culture and is dedicated to NZ’s finest contemporary dance practitioners.
This position is critical to consolidating the success to date of The New Zealand Dance Company and to take the company to the next level of growth - through which NZDC will be recognised as the pre-eminent Contemporary Dance Company in New Zealand locally and internationally.
Relevant commercial, revenue generation and operations management experience within a not for profit environment is essential. Experience in creative entrepreneurship in the arts or a related business would also be preferred.
Your primary role will be to contribute to the realisation of the company’s strategic plan – by leading the commercial and operations of this small arts organisation so that we have sustainable revenue streams to ‘grow the artform, grow the infrastructure and grow the audience’ for contemporary dance in Aotearoa.
Reporting to the Chief Executive/Artistic Director, you will lead and manage the NZDC operations team to support the work of our production and artistic team as they deliver national and international seasons and tours of The New Zealand Dance Company as well as all associated events, which may include special previews, fundraising galas and opening night events, and community and education outreach initiatives.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
• Business management (development and implementation of an annual business plan for the company);
• Revenue generation (through funding, sponsorship and philanthropy) delivering sustained financial growth;
• Brand, marketing and audience development, with our marketing and community engagement personnel;
• Leadership and management of our small team and organisational infrastructure; and
• Financial management and oversight.
Your work will ensure that we achieve and exceed results in line with agreed targets and KPIs; maintain positive relationships with donors, partners, sponsors and funders; and are regarded as a highly professional and entrepreneurial arts organisation.
Essential skills required for the role include:
• demonstrated ability to generate revenue from a broad range of sources, meeting or exceeding financial targets;
• exceptional relationship management skills;
• excellent written and oral communications skills;
• excellent people leadership and management skills;
• strong administrative and organisational skills; and
• a passion for the arts.
This is an exciting opportunity to build on and continue to strengthen the foundations of The New Zealand Dance Company as it enters its next phase of development, working within a collaborative, energetic and professional environment.