The purpose of the technical manager role is to ensure excellent care and stewardship of Q’s technical staff, equipment and facilities across the building.
You will work closely with Q staff and an outsourced facilities management company to ensure a high quality experience for incoming companies, audiences and Q staff through the provision of well-maintained technical equipment and facilities. You will contribute your excellent knowledge of technical services and management to support Q Theatre staff in the scoping, planning and delivery of programme across all venue spaces.
The role involves planning and managing all the technical aspects of Q’s operations, overseeing safe working practice for Q. The role will support the production coordinators in staff recruitment and management, helping to deliver Q Theatre’s high standards of customer service.
You will be the key point of contact for Q’s external facilities management company, liaising with them to manage all external contractors whilst on site, and play a leading role in building general repairs and maintenance.
You will play a key role in ensuring that Q Theatre is a safe building for staff, contractors, audiences and hirers, by leading the delivery of Q’s Health and Safety management framework. This includes ensuring that Q’s facilities and equipment are fit for purpose, and maintained to a high standard.
- Provide technical management services to Q Theatre, working with production and other staff, to plan use of spaces, equipment and technical staff to help realise a high standard of production for hirers, audiences and visitors.
- Ensure the casual venue technician pool is resourced at appropriate levels to balance Qs requirements, ensuring technical staff are appropriately trained for the tasks they are required to undertake;
- Create and maintain departmental and project budgets and associated reporting requirements as required by the Chief Executive.
Technical Equipment, Maintenance & Repairs
- Manage and implement systems to ensure all technical equipment is maintained, repaired and replaced as required.
- Develop, implement and manage preferred supplier agreements for technical equipment and manage procurement within agreed budgets;
- Work with the Chief Executive to ensure that Q complies with all relevant legislation and applies for appropriate consents relating to any special requirements for the staging of events and productions.
- Ensure appropriate operating procedures, plans and reporting are in place
Building Facilities, Maintenance & Repairs
- Conduct regular meetings with the Facilities Management Company to ensure that Q’s facilities are managed effectively.
- Work with the Q Team and the Facilities Management Company to coordinate and schedule building repairs and maintenance.
- Manage Q’s online building administration system, maintaining operational oversight of all maintenance, work orders, environmental management of utilities, access system and security systems, alongside the Facilities Management Company
Health & Safety -
- You are responsible for overseeing the delivery of health and safety training and information to Q’s technical department, Q’s wider staff, and incoming companies and hirers.
- Implement Q’s health and safety processes across the business, working with key staff to ensure a high level of understanding and compliance across the business.
- Ensure contractor and team safety is maintained at all times.
- Run regular training sessions to ensure skills are maintained at an appropriate level;
- Ensure that Q Production Coordinators are supported in their work to obtain accurate information of all users of Q with regards to H&S and risk management.
- Assess and address potential H&S issues with urgency.
- Liaise with tertiary providers, professional practitioners, other venue technicians, suppliers and industry bodies to build strong relationships and goodwill within the sector.
- Provide guidance on industry benchmarks and best practice.
- Participate in industry wide training initiatives, company mentorship programs and other activities as required to promote technical and production professionalism and development.
- Openly discuss, identify and share examples of behaviours that exemplify Q’s values.
- Identify upcoming technical talent and provide support, mentoring and development opportunities for your team where practical.
Of Course at Q we’re a small team and if there’s work to be done then we’ll all pitch in to help one another out – we are flexible and collaborative.
Education & Professional Development
- Proven Venue Management, Mechanist & Lighting Technician experience, and/or formal training.
- Working at Heights Course (formal harness work training)
- Sound & AV experience and/or formal training.
- Established wide industry networks and experience in working collaboratively across industry sectors
Skill & Experience
- Minimum of five years-experience of either working in a multi-space venue, OR minimum of five years production / technical management experience with recognised production companies.
- Minimum of two – three years of experience working in a management role, with proven experience of staff and contractor management.
- Proven high levels of customer service delivery
- Broad experience across a variety of forms of live performance and entertainment.
- Occupational Health & Safety experience (formal training would be highly regarded)
- Current First Aid certificate
- Trained Fire Warden