The art world is changing significantly and in this diverse, exciting, often challenging sector, artists need empathetic and professional support to ensure their exhibition experience is positive, likewise audiences for whom engagement is part personal, part educational.
The Depot galleries are part of a creative community with recording studios, a professional development programme for artists, and a publications arm. We are a small committed team with complementary skills which include curation, promotion, research and community development. Together we build a profile for the arts as a valued aspect of community and society.
We have developed for 2018 a diverse exhibition programme and we are seeking a Gallery Coordinator to work with the wider Depot team to provide successful exhibition experiences for exhibitors and visitors. If you are familiar with contemporary NZ arts and arts practice, enjoy building relationships with artists, audiences and volunteers and have a professional approach which includes strong administration skills, value collaboration with other places and projects, we invite you to apply for this position.
Essential Qualities required for the position:
- Passionate about offering outstanding care to Depot visitors with an engaging and warm manner
- Outgoing, adaptable and committed to participating in The Depot’s creative activities
- Able to work collaboratively and independently
- Able to display sound judgment and show initiative
Essential Skills required for the position
- Significant Volunteer or paid work history within arts organisations. (museum/gallery/artist-run space)
- Highly organised with the ability to implement good operational systems and to plan, organise and schedule in an efficient, productive manner
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to build a variety of networks with artists and organisations
- Flexible approach to work schedule to meet varying requirements of exhibitions and other initiatives
- Coordination and training volunteer staff
This opportunity is a full time position and you must be available for occasional Saturday rostered work and other out of hours commitments.