Call for artists
Hitting the Boards
Street Art and Mural Competition and Exhibition Hitting the Boards
WHAT: MAKING: Street Art and Mural Boards inspired by North Shore Summer Shakespeare Compete for an art prize valued at $1,000.00
EXHIBITING: Artists will own their final works. They will be exhibited and be for sale at the PumpHouse Outdoor Amphitheatre during the North Shore Summer Shakespeare Season.
WHERE: MAKING: Lake House Arts Centre, 37 Fred Thomas Drive Takapuna
EXHIBITING: The PumpHouse Theatre Outdoor Amphitheatre, Kilarny Park
WHEN: MAKING: Saturday 13th January – Thursday 19th January 2018
EXHIBITING: Saturday 20th January – February 17th 2017
TO ENTER: Only 12 places available for artists between the age 15 and 25.
Register online. Details below.
The Lake House Arts Centre in association with the PumpHouse Theatre call for young Mural and Street Artists to create North Shore Summer Shakespeare inspired artwork – in competition and to be exhibited at the PumpHouse Outdoor Amphitheatre throughout the North Shore Summer Shakespeare Season.
The Lake House and the PumpHouse; two of the North Shore most unique visual and performance art spaces are collaborating to bring our community ‘Hitting the Boards’. This is a special project bringing together various community groups to create, share, exchange ideas and build a unique North Shore identity, as well as encourage aspiring artists. It is a tribute to Shakespeare, artist Raymond Boyce and the significance of community art and what it can achieve.
It’s been 401 years after William Shakespeare death- a genius, celebrated and still inspirational today. In the 1990’s Wellington artist Raymond Boyce designed four embroidered wall hangings for Shakespeare’s Globe in London’s Bankside. It was made by more than 500 skilled woman embroiders across New Zealand, - some even from the North Shore. This contribution, donating a set of embroidered hangings, made from New Zealand’s world famous wool, to adorn the frons scenae of the Globe Theatre stage, is a testament to the love for, and power of art to bring people together.
We are inviting young artists (ages 15-25) –to create “hangings” with an attitude. They will have the opportunity to see rehearsals from the show and meet with the North Shore Summer Shakespeare Directors and are set the challenge to respond to the production as well as the space, and engage with various influences of art and culture. We are inviting artists and students particularly interested in illustrative art, street art and theatre design to partake in this exciting project. For the chance to participate and have exclusive tutoring from a Street and Mural Art Mentor and Shakespeare Specialist.
Hitting the Boards is Proudly Supported by Auckland City Council and the Devonport/Takapuna Local Board.
HITTING THE BOARDS COMPETITION AND EXHIBITION DETAILS
- Artists must commit to the project by registering no later than December 20th 2017
- Artists will be given all information related to scheduling by December 22nd 2017
- A Registration Fee of $55 can be paid to the Lake House by or before December 20th 2017 (We have eftpos facilities available or an internet banking option. Registration is non-refundable.)
- Registration is strictly limited to 12 Artists only
- Artists will work onsite at the Lake House Arts Centre from Saturday January 13th - Friday January 19th (10am to 2pm) with some daily guidance from a mentor.
- Artists must be prepared to work outdoors (indoor wet weather cover can be provided)
- The work must be completed in this timeframe and onsite and be ready for installation Saturday 20th January 2018 .
- Each Artist will be working on a weatherproof wooden board, 1800mm x 1200mm in size, Basic Paint and Board will be provided.
- Special art items added to the final artwork must be supplied by the artist
- There is also a cash prize of $1000 to the winning ‘board’, which will be judged a panel from Lake House Arts Centre and the PumpHouse Theatre.
ALL ARTISTS REGISTERING MUST SUPPLY THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
- Name and contact details (phone and email)
- 3 examples of artwork
- The artist must declare availability for every day Saturday 13th January – Friday 19th January 2018
Artists can register by emailing the following information to – Janie Van Woerden – firstname.lastname@example.org