Head of Finance
New Zealand Opera Limited is the country’s national opera company. Its purpose is to contribute to the cultural life of the community by creating opportunities for people to experience the power of opera. It presents main stage opera seasons in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington and undertakes a wide range of audience engagement through education and outreach activities in schools and with community groups. It is also active in the development of promising young New Zealand singers.
Reporting to the General Director, we are seeking a Head of Finance whose responsibilities will include managing the financial accounting processes for New Zealand Opera as well as providing strategic financial information and advice to staff and the Board.
We seek an individual with the following principal attributes and skills:
- At least five years accounting experience in a senior finance role, preferably in a cultural or not-for-profit organisation, with a relevant qualification in accounting
- Proven ability to develop efficient and effective systems and processes
- Well-developed accounting, budgeting, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced computer skills especially in the use of accounting and payroll packages, the Microsoft office suite and databases as well as the ability to quickly learn new software programmes (familiarity with Sage ERP would be an advantage)
- Proven skills in data analysis, report writing and presentation
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to understand and respond to the needs of internal and external clients
- Proven ability to work to a very high standard of accuracy and attention to detail in a busy environment
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable
- Ability to deal with confidential information using discretion and judgement