Curator - Waikato Museum Te Whare Taonga o Waikato
Nestled next to the Waikato River in central Hamilton, Waikato Museum, Te Whare Taonga o Waikato is one of the region’s premier cultural destinations. We care for a diverse range of Tangata Whenua, social history, science and art collections. This is an opportunity to join the Waikato Museum team creating a unique cultural destination for Hamilton and the greater Waikato.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced Curator to join the team at Waikato Museum. This role will have an emphasis on the Science collection, and will support the museum’s other curatorial areas of Tangata Whenua, Art and Social History. The ideal candidate will be responsible for curating and developing highly engaging exhibitions, contributing to new research around the science collections, and participating in education and public programmes.
This is a challenging and varied role for a museum or gallery professional with at least five years’ experience.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Tertiary qualification in a relevant field.
- Strong networks and working collaborative partnerships at local, national and international levels.
- A credible track record of achievement working with a science collection.
- A professional knowledge of collections management and the principles of object and materials conservation.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Public oration, influence and relationship skills including public speaking.
- Demonstrated success in communicating and promoting museum collections to specialist and general audiences.
- An ability to plan, set objectives and meet deadlines.
- An ability to work unsupervised and to provide self-motivation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to operate effectively in small teams.
- Demonstrated expertise in research.
Waikato Museum is staffed by a diverse, lively and friendly group of museum professionals who work closely together and strive to deliver a world-class museum experience.
The recruiting range for this role starts at $66,700 per annum, and could be negotiated for the right candidate.
All candidates will be notified of the outcome on their application via email. Short-listed candidates will be required to complete an interview process, reference checks, pre-employment medical and drug assessments and Ministry of Justice or Police vetting check.
For further information refer to the position description available on our careers website at https://hamilton.careercentre.net.nz/Job
Please note this role is being sourced directly and we are not accepting applications via external recruitment agencies.
Permanent - Full Time
Job no: CIAN856889
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Closing Date: Sunday, 25 March 2018