Jazz Advisory Panel Wellington Jazz Festival 2019-20
The Wellington Jazz Festival (WJF) is a boutique music festival held in June each year. It is the largest and most successful international jazz festival in New Zealand, and a key event in the Wellington cultural calendar. It attracts artists from across the world and audiences from all over New Zealand.
Since it was taken over by the New Zealand Festival team in 2009, the Wellington Jazz Festival has re-emerged with a fresh brand and model, growing every year since going annual in 2013.
Its popularity stems from its determination to push for the best artists – and its breadth of jazz and jazz-influenced music, pop, hip hop, funk and soul. Much of the success of the Festival is due to the involvement of hundreds of local musicians as well as the support of the New Zealand jazz community.
With more than 100 gigs in five days, the Wellington Jazz Festival features major international headliners as well as top New Zealand musicians, taking over the main venues of the city as well as restaurants, bars and clubs with festivities spilling out onto the streets.
- Festival-produced international artists headline the Opera House
- Open access ‘Jazz at Large’ programme of venue / artist produced events
- Educational workshops
- Jazz-inspired film festival with Lighthouse Cinemas on Cuba
The Festival reaches deeply into the music community especially through the Jazz at Large programme, which is developed and produced by musicians and venues themselves.
As the largest jazz festival in New Zealand and with the enormous support and investment in the Festival from the New Zealand jazz community, we believe it is important to respect and consider a diverse range of artistic perspectives. We are therefore establishing a biennial Jazz Advisory Panel that will work alongside our Creative Director, Marnie Karmelita, as the 2019-2020 programmes develop.
We are seeking practising New Zealand and Pasifika jazz musicians and members of the New Zealand jazz community to be part of the Jazz Advisory Panel for the 2020 Festival. We invite Aotearoa’s jazz community to join the conversation, offering invaluable insight from their areas of expertise.
The next Festival is scheduled for 5-9 June 2019.
- Attend six meetings over two years, ie in the period approx. September 2018 – July 2020. Meetings will be held at Festival HQ:
Te Auaha, Level 3, Room 3.07
65 Dixon Street
- Attend additional creative events as required, such as commission updates, programme launches and, of course, the Festival itself.
- Provide feedback to the Creative Director as required on new artists, programme selection, works-in-development, and ultimately the artistic success or otherwise of the Festival.
- Renumeration is a fee of $500+GST per annum, plus reasonable travel expenses. Festival attendance will be expected, but tickets provided.
- Panel members will be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement at the start of their term.
- All final programming decisions will rest with the Creative Director.