Radio Station Manager
For over 40 years RadioActive.fm has been the beating heart of independent music and culture
in Wellington. RadioActive.fm is proud to be an integral part of Wellington's creative
The Station Manager is the visible and vibrant face of Wellington’s most iconic independent
radio station who will maintain RadioActive.fm’s reputation for being a platform and voice for the
local community. The Station Manager will lead the charge to ensure RadioActive.fm is a
relevant, trusted and high quality champion of music and culture that meets the evolving needs
of our community.
The Station Manager provides senior management for station, overseeing the day-to-day and
strategic operations for RadioActive.fm. They will be working closely with the Board to advance
the aims of the station.
1. Provide leadership for RadioActive.fm
2. Diversify and strengthen the organisation’s revenue base whilst successfully balancing
3. Strengthen relationships with tertiary providers, Student Radio Network, funders, major
sponsors and other stakeholders
4. Diversify content and platforms
5. Strengthen the station’s profile and presence in Wellington
6. Develop RadioActive.fm into an incubator for new talent
7. Ensure the station is a sustainable, trusted and high quality local media outlet in
8. Engage with students and young people to grow audiences/volunteers for
● Strategic and operational oversight of RadioActive.fm
● Timely and accurate financial reporting
● Management of staff/contractors/volunteers
● Ensuring health and safety compliance
● Responsible for risk management for RadioActive.fm
● Ensuring statutory compliance and reporting to funders and regulatory bodies is
completed as required
● Foster and manage relationships with key stakeholders
● Maintain a close working relationship with the Board to develop and implement a vision
for the station
● Provide the link between the board and staff. Produce agendas, reports and minutes for
● Produce and manage organisational budgets and accounts
● Manage and oversee the station’s broadcast infrastructure, facilities and technical
● Manage staff/HR and non-DJ volunteers
● Oversee events, marketing, promotions, and publicity/communications for
● Be the public face that represents the station to assorted stakeholders and audiences
● Maintain a professional image which reflects the attributes of RadioActive.fm in all
contact management (including telephone, email and social media), completing these
communications in a timely and efficient manner.
● In co-operation with the Programme Director and board, help to ensure a compatible
workplace for Employees and volunteers in relation to the health and safety policies of
RadioActive.fm and external workplace regulations.
● Undertaking any other activities as reasonably required by RadioActive.fm during its
Personal Attributes and Qualities
● Strong leadership qualities
● A passion for innovation and transformation
● Creative, resourceful and resilient
● Highly organised
● Enjoys challenges and problem solving
● Can handle working big picture and daily detail
● Proficiency with financial management software, preferably Xero
● Great people skills. Can work well with stakeholders, staff and volunteers.
● Vibrant, enthusiastic
● Clear communicator
● Enjoys interacting with the public/networking and hosting
● Excellent understanding of social media platforms (including Facebook, YouTube,
Twitter and Instagram).
● Confident in using cloud-based applications and other software.
● Passion for New Zealand music and stories.
Applications Close Mon 15 October