RADIOACTIVE.FM PROGRAMME DIRECTOR
For over 40 years RadioActive.fm has been the beating heart of independent music and culture
in Wellington. RadioActive.fm is proud to be an integral part of Wellington's creative
The Programme Director is the station’s taste-maker and talent spotter that will maintain
RadioActive.fm’s reputation for being a relevant, trusted and high quality champion of music
The Programme Director will be responsible for all on-air programming, content and personnel
across all broadcast platforms and channels. The Programme Director will ensure that
Wellington’s most iconic independent radio station can be heard by its listeners wherever they
are and whenever they want.
This role will also work very closely with the Station Manager to advance the aims of the station
and objectives set by the Board.
1. Maintain and build the station’s reputation for new music and talent
2. Create and maintain effective training, retention and talent development resources and
3. Ensure that the programming and content are cutting edge and reach the audience
through the most effective platforms and channels
4. Grow the volunteer roster for both DJs and off-air personnel
5. Engage with students and young people to grow audiences/volunteers for
● Collating information for reports, ensuring compliance with broadcasting standards,
copyright and other broadcasting regulations.
● Training, mentoring and developing DJ talent (Recruit, mentor, train and monitor on-air
talent) both paid and voluntary
● Responsible for on-air programming and content. This includes sourcing new music and
managing in-studio library and programme music into playlisted shows.
● Ensuring in-studio equipment is properly maintained and in working order
● Maintaining a presentable and professional workspace and studio
● Producer for daily shows
● Actively source new music - liaise with artists, labels, DJs etc.
● Responsible for playlist/app and social media as is relevant to on-air
● Maintain DJ roster to ensure daytime and specialists shows are appropriately staffed at
● Convene regular DJ meetings in conjunction with DJ representatives.
● Support volunteer DJs and develop their talent through regular air-checks, and meeting
● Address technical issues in broadcast studios, enlisting external help as required.
● Develop a presenter training programme, on-air guidelines and a process for ongoing
monitoring and feedback.
● Producer for daily shows (including Caffeine & Aspirin), booking live-to-airs and
● Work with others to review and rejuvenate show programming and schedules as
● Collate relevant information for reporting to APRA, NZOA and MCH
● Supports the Station Manager to develop and enhance promotion and publicity
● Maintains a professional image which reflects the attributes of RadioActive.fm in all
contact management (including telephone, email and social media), completing these
communications in a timely and efficient manner.
● In co-operation with the Station Manager and board, help to ensure a compatible
workplace for Employees and volunteers in relation to the health and safety policies of
RadioActive.fm and external workplace regulations.
● Undertaking any other activities as reasonably required by RadioActive.fm during its
Personal Attributes and Qualities
● Highly organised
● Great communicator
● Passionate about music, with a good ear for what is suitable for the station (including up
and coming local artists)
● An understanding of announcing and presenting skills
● A passion for mentoring and developing new talent
● Interest in, and some understanding of, broadcast technology and requirements
● Proficient in the use of social media applications (including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter
● Confident in using cloud-based applications and other software
Applications Close 15 October