Assistant Musical Director
The choir was formed over thirteen years ago and was set up as an all-comers, non-auditioned choir allowing anybody to attend, regularly or on a casual basis. Singers learn music by ear, in four parts but without printed staff notation and the musical styles are chosen from the world’s cultures. The choir performs at community events around Wellington and presents concerts both locally and further afield.
The choir meets on Wednesday evenings (7-9pm) at Te Whaea and for further information about its organisation plus audio samples and images visit www.wellingtoncommunitychoir.org.nz
The position will suit a musician with experience in song leading or a recent music graduate with an interest in group singing.
The person will be expected to
- assist the MD with song teaching and leading
- teach /lead at least one song per choir practice
- deputize for the MD in his absence
- liaise with the MD over repertoire
- be present at events and concerts
- attend choir core group meeting (average one per term).
The following attributes are desirable:
- An ability to teach SATB parts so that singers can learn by ear
- A secure understanding of music theory and an interest in a range of musical styles
- The ability to arrange songs for the choir
- Accompanying skills preferred but not essential
- Be friendly and approachable and a desire to be part of the choir’s community.