Head of Music
As New Zealand’s national opera company, we are working to transform the world of our audience through an experience of opera that connects, engages and empowers reflection on our human condition. We are in the process of redefining our purpose, vision and strategic plan. This has created an exciting opportunity for us to recruit talented people to contribute to the future of opera in Aotearoa.
Reporting to the Director of Artistic Operations we are looking to recruit a part time Head of Music to work 20 hours per week, who will be responsible for managing and ensuring the delivery of all musical aspects of New Zealand Opera’s work, including the artist development programmes.
We are looking for a person with the following principal attributes and skills:
- Music degree or equivalent training / experience
- Extensive experience and in-depth knowledge of the opera repertoire
- Experienced opera pianist with the skills to play for concerts and events
- At least five years’ experience in similar role in an opera company or similar organisation
- Proven ability in coaching the entire range of artists from international singers to emerging artists
- Knowledge and experience of casting and the current worldwide pool of singers
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to understand and respond to the needs of internal and external clients
- Must be flexible and adaptable with the ability to manage competing priorities
- Proven track record of managing people and resources using strategies to ensure the development and retention of highly skilled staff and contractors
- Ability to collaborate with others and promote cross team work
If you are a Music professional with extensive experience in opera and enjoy working with artists to create music of a high standard, we would love to hear from you.
Applications close at 5.00 pm on Monday 21 January 2019.