Director Artistic Operations
As New Zealand’s national opera company, we are working to transform the world of our audience through an experience of opera that connects, engages and empowers reflection on our human condition. We are in the process of redefining our purpose, vision and strategic plan. This has created an exciting opportunity for us to recruit talented people to contribute to the future of opera in Aotearoa.
Reporting to the General Director we are looking to recruit a Director of Artistic Operations who is a member of the Senior Management Team and is responsible for overseeing and managing the team that delivers New Zealand Opera’s artistic plans. Developing project plans from the General Director’s initial concepts and taking responsibility for delivering these on time and to budget.
We are looking for a person with the following principal attributes and skills:
- Ten years’ experience of managing artistic planning in a similar organisation
- Previous experience of negotiating and managing contracts in similar environments
- Experience of project management in a performing arts setting
- Experience of Arts Vision or other scheduling software
- Proven experience of developing budgets, managing finances, people and resources
- Excellent appreciation and knowledge of opera both nationally and internationally, a music qualification preferred
- An ability to take initiative and to think strategically and creatively
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to understand and respond to the needs of internal and external clients
- Knowledge of how organisations work, knowing how to get things done through formal and informal channels and networks
- Extremely well organised and able to demonstrate an ability to prioritise and balance competing demands and pressures in order to meet agreed deadlines
- Proven track record of managing people and resources using strategies to ensure the development and retention of highly skilled staff
- Ability to collaborate with others and promote cross team work
If you are an experienced and highly organised Artistic Planning professional with an excellent knowledge of opera, who can also bring a strategic approach to this role and enjoys building relationships and managing a team, we would love to hear from you.
Applications close at 5.00 pm on Monday 21 January 2019.