Sanderson Contemporary is a busy commercial gallery based in Newmarket, Auckland. The gallery manages a stable of diverse artistic practices and participates regularly in Australasia’s art fairs. We are looking for a part-time Gallery Assistant to join our dynamic team - working two days per week on Sundays and Mondays. Our ideal candidate would have a tertiary qualification in Fine/Visual Arts and/or Art History and be capable and confident in sales. Experience working in a commercial gallery or auction house would be preferred - although not essential.
Sanderson Contemporary is a small team the Gallery Assistant role is a major support role in running the gallery, is seen as potential successor role into more senior roles with the gallery. As we are a small team communication is key, as well as willingness to take on any task - big or small - and a ‘can-do’ attitude. We will provide training and development opportunities to the successful candidate.
Key duties: transacting sales using Xero accounting system, personalised client service and end-to-end relationship management, maintaining a detailed up-to-date knowledge of the practice of our artists and general gallery tasks outlined further below.
Sales are the most important part of this role – if a client enters the gallery they become the priority. Every visitor to the gallery is viewed as equally important – whether they are here to buy now – or may do sometime in the future. We promote the ideals of art as accessible and approachable, and are focused on constantly building the Sanderson network.
- Accurately quoting and arranging national and international freight of artworks.
- Preparing and proofreading client communications.
- Storeroom management.
- Accurately quoting and arranging any required framing.
- Noting stock movements and keeping an up to date inventory of stock.
- Invoicing using Xero.
- Client liaison and follow up.
- Engaging and friendly communication style, being knowledgeable about our artists.
- Arranging commissions.
- Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Website management.
- Contributing to curatorial ideas.
- Writing exhibition texts.
- Keeping up to date with wider Arts scene.
- Artist liaison.
- Packaging and storing works correctly.
- Hanging and installation of works on and off site.
- Painting and wall maintenance.