Expression of Interest for $200,000 Public Artwork in Whangarei
Whangarei District Council are seeking an artist / designer or team of artists to design a permanent, original and contemporary public artwork in a high-profile location. Submissions must be received by 12 noon, Monday, 8th April March 2019.
The $200,000 work will be a permanent commission that will be situated in the "heart" of a new urban park in the Town Basin, Whangarei. The $5.2 million park, located on the waterfront next to the Hundertwasser and Wairau Māori Art Centre, will be constructed and opened in the latter part of 2020.
The new park will provide an important link between the Whangarei waterfront, central city area and Hatea Loop shared path. The landscape design features a large lawn and amphitheatre, water feature with lighting, small play space, waterfront seating, and soft landscaping.
- We are looking for a work that will be memorable, stimulating and an intriguing focal point for our new park
- It should engage visitors and users of the park, adding to the narrative and character of the place
- The work must have precense and raise the profile for public art in Whangarei
The shortlisting process
We are seeking expressions of interest from which 3 or 4 artists / designers will be shortlisted and provided with the cultural and historical narratives of the site, park details, practicalities and constraints. They will then submit concept designs and costings by late April 2019 before a final selection in early May. The concept design fee will be discussed and confirmed with the short listed artists.
Detailed design process to be determined with selected artist, however the following deadlines must be meet:
- Expressions of interest to be submitted by 8 April 2019
- Final design completed by end of September 2019
- Artwork to be fabricated and installed September 2020