Gallery and Sales Manager
NMG (Nadene Milne Gallery) is one of the senior contemporary art galleries in New Zealand, operating in the South Island, out of Arrowtown and Christchurch. We represent many of New Zealand's most important artists and place works in significant public, domestic and international collections. We have two positions available in our brand new Christchurch gallery, which will be opening in June and is a mere block away from the Christchurch Art Gallery. We are currently developing an ambitious curatorial program for the gallery. It’s an exciting time to be coming on board - there are great opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Day to day management of the Christchurch gallery (with directorial oversight)
- Communicating with artists and clients
- Managing exhibitions
- Selling/placing works
- Working creatively within a budget
- Salary + commission
- Genuinely passionate and knowledgable about the visual arts & culture
- Mature, hardworking, curious/willing to learn
- University educated, eloquent, capable of writing very well
- Experienced in a gallery environment
- Interested in and engaged with what is happening in the world
- Coming from a proven sales background
- Capable of driving a manual truck
We don’t necessarily expect you to arrive with a complete set of skills - there is ample opportunity for learning on the job provided you have fundamentals and are keen to learn. The director and associate director have decades of experience and are willing to share their knowledge. This role can be high pressure - we uphold high standards and work often within tight deadlines.
Candidates should be somewhat flexible as they may have to travel for work on occasion.