Call for proposals for Changing Lanes
Closes12 Jul 2019
Posted on28 May 2019
Work typeCall for entries, Expressions of interest
Work classificationVisual Arts
Changing Lanes is a collaborative project between Artweek Auckland and Heart of the City, the city centre Business Association. Two Auckland city centre spaces will be transformed by artist activations during Artweek Auckland 2019. The project aims to help create connections in our community, provide opportunities for artists and enhance public spaces.
Artists are asked to consult with stakeholders to develop a concept that responds to an issue and/or opportunity identified with the following principles in mind:
- Context of place – Concepts should be cognizant of both the physical and social environment, considering all of its user groups; businesses, residents, visitors alike.
- Heritage and/or potential of place – Where possible, signals to the history or future aspirations of the location.
- Bring to attention the uniqueness of the spaces as pedestrian walking routes, intimate city business locations and spaces and – especially alternative commuter’s passageways especially during the current construction period.
- Occurs in the public space.
Artists may work with whichever materials and methods of their choice however, are subject to permitting requirements and appropriate durability.
Each treatment/installation must be in place for the duration of Artweek Auckland festival; 12–20 October. Installations need to be durable and sustainable for the 10-day period, night and day. Artists also need to factor in weather contingencies, in case of any potential damage to installations caused by weather. Aerial works are favoured to avoid deliberate or accidental removal of works or damage and tampering – plus the availability of aerial fixing points in the specified locations. Artists are not to attach anything onto the walls or windows of protected historic buildings.
- Concept design
- Engagement with surrounding businesses and/or residents
- Creation, installation and break-down of installation.
- Activation on Late Night Art – Tuesday 15 October
- Complete all relevant permitting information for inclusion in the event permit in a timely manner and health and safety planning.
- Ensure site health and safety requirements are met.
Lanes available for submissions:
Durham St East, Durham Lane, Upper/Lower Vulcan Lane, Exchange Lane
BUDGET: $5000 per site (including installation costs)