Installation Art Award
- $500 towards creation of the installation
- $1000 cash prize
Western Bay of Plenty has a proud social service sector with approximately 240 organisations working daily to improve the well-being of individuals, families and our society. At the heart is SociaLink. SociaLink is an umbrella organisation that supports and empowers the social and community sector. SociaLink offers professional development, supports organisations to work collaboratively and undertakes advocacy and research.
SociaLink has produced a series of research reports and videos to raise awareness of social issues in the Western Bay of Plenty and to better understand the social sector. The theme for the launch of this research is 'Opening the blinds on The Real Life Of Us'. Creative Bay of Plenty, SociaLink and Legacy Trust are collaborating to bring forth an artwork that will visually reflect said research, in order to help change societal perceptions and stigma. This will be achieved by raising awareness of people in vulnerable circumstances, as well as the value of social sector providers.
In conjunction with the launch of this new research, CBOP and SociaLink are launching The SociaLink "Legacy Trust ‘Art With Purpose’ Award". Artists are being called to submit a design for an art installation which will help raise awareness of the issues identified in the research.
The artist with the winning design concept will receive $500 to create the installation or artwork (which will be unveiled at the SociaLink launch event on the 9th August 2019) and presented on the day with $1000 cash prize. Following the launch, the installation will also be on display in other areas around the Western Bay of Plenty, sharing its message.
How to apply
How to enter:
Fill out and sign both the application and terms and conditions, available here
Email the form to email@example.com by 5:00pm Friday 12th July 2019
The application form will ask the following:
1) Choose a theme from the research to base the installation message on. (Click here for more info on the themes)
Theme 1: WBOP Social Issues – The Real Life of Us
A lot of people are struggling in the Western Bay of Plenty. Vulnerability can come in many forms: living in poverty, experiencing violence, struggling to find affordable and suitable housing, having a disability, being isolated, etc.
Theme 2: Waiting Lists for social and health services
The demand or need for social and health services is far higher than can be currently met by existing services.
Theme 3: Mapping the Social Sector Update, including low pay of workers research
We have a diverse and resourceful social sector which is stretched and under stress.
2) Submit an installation concept design sketch
- (Dimensions of space for the installation are: Height 2100mm x Width 1550mm x Depth 1550mm). Please note installation is required to be free standing.
- Installation is required to be set up on day of the launch (9th August 2019) and packed down after the launch on the same day.
- View images of where the initial Installation will be set for inspiration on how you could use the space below.
Include the following info in the design sketch
a. Materials used
c. Any electrical components (must be battery operated)
3) Submit a 200-word artist statement about the artwork installation and its relation to the chosen theme.
4) Submit an artist bio including examples of previous artistic work, links to social media or website profile.
For award details and application form visit https://www.creativebop.org.nz/news/item/1387-2019-socialink-legacy-trust-art-with-purpose-award