Preparator - Waikato Museum
Preparators are at the front-line of museum delivery, using their high-level skills to construct and install a diverse range of physical exhibits.
They’re crucial to the operation of Waikato Museum Te Whare Taonga o Waikato and what it offers visitors.
We have a rare vacancy in our Collections and Exhibitions Team for a Preparator to join us at one of the region’s premier cultural and visitor destinations.
The successful candidate will be responsible for planning and undertaking exhibit construction, installation and de-installation of Museum exhibitions. In addition, you will assist in the maintenance of exhibitions to the museum’s standards.
Our ideal candidate will have:
• An excellent working knowledge of workshop tools and equipment,
• The ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to manage a number of projects at one time
• Imagination, and an open-minded responsive, flexible, and ‘can do’ attitude
• A knowledge of the ethics and principles of working in a museum
• Sound verbal and written communication skills including computer literacy
• Experience of art/object handling is also preferred
• A high level of physical fitness and health
• A full clean NZ driver’s license
Waikato Museum is staffed by a diverse, lively and friendly group of museum professionals who work closely together and strive to deliver a world-class museum experience.
This is a part-time role on a seven-day roster (20 hours per week, usually Monday and Tuesday 8 hours each, and Wednesday 4 hours, and working one weekend day every five weekends with an RDO).
This role will be involved with a variety of tasks where no two days are the same. If this role sounds like it’s for you; we would love to hear from you.
All candidates will be notified of the outcome on their application via email. Short-listed candidates will be required to complete an interview process, reference checks, pre-employment medical and drug assessments and Ministry of Justice or Police vetting check.
For further information refer to the position description available on our careers website at https://hamilton.careercentre.net.nz/Job.
Please note this role is being sourced directly and we are not accepting applications via external recruitment agencies.