Collections Researcher - Technology
MOTAT is New Zealand’s largest transport and technology museum and is home to some unique examples of operational, industrial, and transport heritage. The Museum is currently looking for Collections Researcher - Technology to join the team.
Reporting to the Curatorial Research Manager, you will be responsible for producing research and accurate content about the items in MOTAT’s technology collections. In addition, there is a requirement to input into the development of the technology collections and write Acquisition Proposals. As a member of the Curatorial Research team, you will also manage internal and external collection enquiries, improve collection catalogue data, and assist with researching potential acquisitions.
Some key accountabilities in this role include:
- Accurately record information about Technology collection items to internationally recognised standards.
- Proactively identify items to acquire for the Collection, in support of the Collection development of the Technology collections.
- Support Exhibition development teams to include technology coverage in permanent and temporary exhibitions.
- Assist with writing and researching Acquisition Proposals.
- Enhance catalogue records with curatorial content.
- Assist with answering enquiries from internal and external sources.
- Work closely with members of MOTAT’s Collections Hub to communicate information around the Technology collection items and source information.
We want to hear from you if you have:
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in a similar role with a Bachelor Degree (or higher) in Museum Studies, Arts, Sciences or a relevant field.
- Computer literacy including Microsoft packages and the Vernon database experience, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience working in both a customer service environment and team environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of appropriate handling and care of museum collection items.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; a natural curiosity.
- Ability to balance object research work with collections development and routine administrative tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to identify objects of interest for the collection and assess the strategic fit of these objects.
- Demonstrated understanding of modern museum best practice.
- Good time management skills, able to prioritise workloads across multiple projects and meet deliverables.
- Drivers licence, as there will be a need to visit the three MOTAT sites.
MOTAT is a great place to work, where no two days are ever the same. Along with joining a team of passionate and capable people, you will also get the benefit of Birthday Leave, additional KiwiSaver contributions, and a MOTAT annual pass for you and your family.
This role is 20 hours per week over 3 days (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday) and a drivers licence is required as the role covers three MOTAT site.