Centrepoint Theatre is the only fulltime professional production house in regional New Zealand and has been in operation since 1974.
We have a small team of 6 full time staff and several casuals, with the new role of Associate Director starting January 13th2020.
This is a new fulltime role for someone with a relevant qualification or significant experience in performing arts. The role is aimed to allow training and experience in a theatre management role. The position is designed to gain insight and experience into planning, management, marketing, sponsorship, fundraising, education and programming of a professional theatre in New Zealand.
The Associate Director will lead the education arm of the Theatre having the opportunity to develop new education ventures and upgrade current programmes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Lead our Education Programmes
- Design and lead the education classes for each year
- Design and manage the holiday programmes for each year
- Develop new education offerings for our communities
- Grow and maintain detailed documentation around these programmes
- Lead and assist in marketing of all education offerings
Lead the Basement Company
- Design the programme for the Basement Youth Company for the year
- Hire professional tutors to extend the company
- Mentor the students and ready them for auditions
- Direct the Basement shows
- Monitor the curriculum and keep detailed records for reporting
- Lead and assist in all marketing of Basement Company events
Programming the Dark Room
- Source and schedule emerging companies for the Dark Room
- Offer sound producing advice for new and emerging companies
- Manage the scheduling of all Dark Room events
- Assist with marketing of all Dark Room scheduled events
Manage our Corporate Performances
- Manage the bookings for corporate events
- Grow the products we have to offer
- Manage the marketing and increase sales of our products
Have input into the season programme alongside the Artistic Director and the General Manager.
Be present & active in discussions on programming, budget and marketing.
Have the opportunity to direct main stage productions starting in the second year.
The candidate will have completed a tertiary qualification in performing arts from a recognized training establishment or have a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience in working in the arts.
They will have already led several productions as a director/producer at at least a semi professional level (working with trained performers, or co-op or large scale resources).
Only permanent residents of Australia or New Zealand, or those who have the right to work in Australia or New Zealand may apply.
This role will require working at different times of the day and night. It is expected that the person manages their time accordingly and responsibly.