The Coalition for Books is a dynamic new organisation charged with rolling out some strategic, collaborative initiatives that will engage more audiences with a diverse range of New Zealand books and authors. The Board is seeking to appoint a part-time, fixed-term contractor, tasked with managing a programme of high-impact and effective activities throughout 2020.
The successful candidate will be joining a fledgling organisation at a crucial but exciting time as it seeks to deliver tangible promotional change for the New Zealand book sector. There is much scope and opportunity for assisting with the development of structures and processes that will get the new organisation underway and see it well into the future.
Reporting to its Chair and to the Board, the Manager for the Coalition for Books will be Auckland-based with a requirement for some domestic travel. Previous book or creative sector experience is essential.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- High level skills in project management, including budgeting, and able to launch and manage high impact events on limited resources
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- An ability to manage relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders from across the book and creative sectors
- Proven ability to secure outside funding and an understanding of the arts funding and grant environment
- Ability to move easily in cross-cultural environments, especially with mana whenua and Pasifika
- Good networks within the literary sector
- An entrepreneurial drive with a desire to be innovative and to set new standards
- Strong initiative and deadline-driven, with capacity to multi-task and work independently
- Up to date with latest New Zealand and international publishing, reading and bookselling developments and trends
- Ability to secure and manage the services of highly skilled contractors as required
- Ability to work within a small team and with a Board
- Ability to scope and develop publicity and marketing opportunities.
- Ability to copy-write for marketing materials and a Coalition e-newsletter and experience with social media
- Proficiency with relevant computer software, including MSOffice, InDesign, Excel, and Word