Curator of ST PAUL St Galleries, AUT
PERMANENT FULL TIME / 37.5 Hours Per Week
ST PAUL St Gallery AUT is looking for a full time Curator (role formerly titled Assistant Director). The Curator works to support, develop and deliver all programmes, and to ensure the efficient administrative operation of ST PAUL St Gallery. They take an active role in coordinating workflow and supporting the Director with mentoring and training team members for service delivery within the Gallery.
The role is carried out in a shared and busy office environment that is connected to the Gallery space. During opening hours all Gallery staff are expected to field enquiries from students, staff and the general public regarding exhibitions, programmes etcetera as well as continue with their other work. The role requires flexibility in working hours, tasks undertaken, a high level of focus and the ability to manage interruptions professionally. Current knowledge and interest in contemporary art and design is required as is the ability to work both independently and collectively.
Key Skills Sought:
- Knowledge of contemporary visual art and design (from the Aotearoa/ Asia-Pacific region).
- Knowledge of and experience in current curatorial and gallery administrative practices.
- Experience and proficiency in communicating, assisting and dealing with people at all levels with a variety of problems and queries.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
- Public speaking.
- Art handling and basic installation skills.
- Proficiency in design software such as Adobe suite and audio editing software.
- Experience with ‘Squizz Matrix’ or with other CMS programmes.
Applicants should have:
- A formal qualification at degree level, or equivalent experience.
- Min of 2-3 years experience working in a gallery environment.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- A high level of organisational and time management skills
- Experience with event co-ordination
- Ability to prioritise tasks and communicate these to other team members
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Preference given to candidates with a postgraduate qualification.
Go to https://careers.aut.ac.nz/ for more information and to apply.