deadline 20 april 2020
residency runs from 20 july – 11 oct 2020 (12 weeks)
"Receiving the Toi Poneke Write Room Writer’s Residency was a dream come true for me. I was finally able to write full time, in a dedicated space and creative environment, with amazing mentors that supported the project and my process. I now have a first draft of a feature film script that is on a development pathway - thanks to Toi Poneke and the Wellington City Council. Kia ora and fa’afetai lava for that!”
Abi King - Jones - Screen Writer in Residence 2019
WRITE ROOM is a Toi Pōneke initiative in partnership with Director Rob Sarkies, (Scarfies, Out of the Blue, Consent ) Producer Vicky Pope (Savage, Gardening with Soul, Two Little Boys) and Producer Desray Armstrong(Stray, Ellen Is Leaving, Meathead); who are also the selectors and mentors for the 2020 programme.
Write Room recognises the challenges for New Zealand screenwriters to create space in their lives to write and find a place to do their work. The opportunity is for a Wellington based screenwriter with a feature film project at a stage that will benefit from focused development towards completion of a draft of the script.
The aim of this residency is to help the chosen writer to get their screenplay to the stage where it is ready to pitch to a producer.
With support from Toi Pōneke, the successful candidate will undertake a 12-week residency. The screenwriter will be provided with a studio space, $6,450.00 stipend, and experienced creative support from Producers Desray Armstrong, Vicky Pope and Director Rob Sarkies.
We expect the chosen writer will spend a minimum of 25 hours a week committed to writing during the residency, these hours should fit in around other work commitments.
At the completion of the residency the candidate will be required to provide a report and feedback on their residency.
- Undergraduate students are ineligible to apply.
Applicants must be:
- Over the age of 18 years.
- Emerging screenwriters, established screenwriters, or writers transitioning from other writing disciplines into screenwriting, who are looking for a Producer for their screenplay.
- Wellington City - based New Zealand citizens or permanent residents. You must provide evidence that you have lived in Wellington City on a semi permanent basis over the past 3 years. And you must have a current Wellington City address at the time of application. If you are shortlisted you will be required to verify this address and your NZ residency status.
What’s on offer
- A 12-week full time screenwriting residency from 20 July - 11 Oct 2020.
- A free, sole-use studio space to write in at Toi Pōneke, with 24-hour access.
- A stipend of $6,450.00 (gross) for the 12 week period.
- A feedback and planning session with members of the panel at the commencement of the residency.
- A work-in-progress discussion with members of the panel at the 6-8 week mark.
- An assessment of the draft at the conclusion of the residency, with advice on next steps to take.
- A read-through with actors (up to 4 x paid actors) at the end of the residency.
- Submissions due by 20 April 2020 at 5pm.
- Successful writer announced 20 May 2020.
- Residency dates: 20 July - 11 Oct 2020
How to apply
How to apply
Please send all of the following in one PDF to:
by Monday 20 April 2020 at 5pm
- First 15 pages of your feature film script.
- Synopsis/summary of project (max. 3 pages).
- Self-Introduction (max 1 page.)
- Completed application form
PLEASE NOTE: One application per writer will be accepted. Submit the project you most want to work on. If available, shortlisted writers may be asked to supply a full draft of their screenplay and/or meet to discuss their work prior to selection.