- Full-time, permanent position
- Salary package: $91,161 per annum (includes base salary $83,253 per annum + 9.5% employer’s contribution to superannuation)
- Curatorial and Digital Division
- Reports to the Head of Collection and Exhibitions Management
- Date reviewed August 2019
Overview of the position
The Registrar manages registration activities across all areas of the Museum. This role works collaboratively across the Collections and Exhibitions team, playing a key role in contributing to the development and delivery of MCA exhibition programs and administration of the MCA Collection. The position will suit a dynamic person who excels at multi-tasking and enjoys a variety of tasks.
Exhibition related liaison with internal and external stakeholders necessitates strong communication and analytical skills, as well as the ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically. Responsibilities include loan and insurance negotiation, freight and packing arrangements, budget tracking, and supervision of unpacking / packing.
Collection administration includes a hands-on approach to ongoing management of the MCA Collection. Review of cataloguing systems and processes to maintain applicability and consistency is fundamental. This role will enjoy problem solving and organising both record-keeping and physical collection storage spaces.
This position reports to the Head of Collection and Exhibitions Management and has two direct reports, the Assistant Registrar and Collection & Exhibitions Technician. Additionally, responsibility for supervision of casual staff during installation and collection-based projects is expected.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
- Manage registration duties across the MCA Exhibition program, both on site and touring.
- Administer registration tasks for MCA Collection, including oversight of the outward loans program.
- Provide leadership and management support to reporting staff.
- Develop, expand and implement departmental policies and procedures.
- Deliver training around areas of art handling, access and artwork security, and disaster preparedness.
- Collection and loan information management together with database maintenance.
- Supervision of art handling staff, where required.
Key selection criteria
Applicants must be able to demonstrate they have:
- a minimum of 3 years’ previous experience in registration, preferably in contemporary art
- excellent knowledge of, and proven experience in the application of professional museum registration methods and international conservation best practice
- exceptional organisation and planning skills, with proven ability to manage competing deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- an energetic approach to project coordination and the ability to work well under pressure with high level initiative
- strong interpersonal skills, demonstrating ability to liaise effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- knowledge of and experience in maintaining information systems. Experience with Vernon Systems Collection database and / or Piction a distinct advantage
- respect for contemporary art and artists, and for diversity in the workplace.
It would be good if applicants have:
- qualifications in fine or visual arts, or Museum Studies
- knowledge of electronic technology in the arts
- current driver’s license.
Working for the MCA
The MCA is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. The MCA promotes a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment, and where individuals are treated with fairness, equality and dignity.