Calling all artists and creatives!!
Have you ever desired a place to escape to so you can concentrate fully on your creative practice??
An artist's residency opportunity has become available with 2 locations on offer, created for you by Sally Lush, artist and curator. One is right on the beachfront at Pataua South, near Whangarei and the other is at a rural location at Makarau 45 minutes north of Auckland. These self funded residencies come with fully self contained studio and workspace with peace, tranquility and views! A perfect place for self-directed exploration and learning.
Take the time out to concentrate on a particular project, develop new ideas, plan new works or put the finishing touches to a body of work.
Check out all the details on the website here.
You can apply with this link here.
How to apply
Who can apply for the Artist Residency?
We look for independent, established or emerging artists with practices encompassing painting, writing, poetry, music, photography, film making, sound, sculpture etc
You need to:
- have an active exhibition, publishing or performance record
- be committed to creating new work inspired by your time immersed in this location
- be independent, fit and healthy (and declare any medical conditions)
Criteria for selection for the Artist Residency
We will give priority to artists:
- producing high quality and innovative work
- who propose clear and shareable residency outcomes
- who offer some interaction with others eg artist talk/ demonstration on site or at local art spaces, schools, etc
- creating new work influenced by the location and the residency experience
- who can demonstrate that their art practice would benefit from this experience
What you need to do as part of the residency
- The residency artist is required to offer something back to the community. Some ideas are; a public talk/ demonstration on their work, mentoring a local artist, organising or participating in a residency Exhibition at a later date, providing a workshop with the local community and schools etc
- Make a short video (mobile phone footage OK) and provide documentation for a small publication (Costs borne by organisation for the publication) to document your creative process, the experience, work process and insights gained from the residency for our archives and for promotional purposes.
How to apply
Applications by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
No deadline date, applications will be processed as they are received, you are encouraged to apply ASAP to avoid spaces being oversubscribed.
Please include in one document (PDF/Word) under 1mb:
-short CV outlining experience relating to the area of work covered by your intentions for this residency
-short artist biography detailing your art practice (Approx 100 words)
-recent photograph of yourself
-short statement about your project and what you hope to gain from the residency experience (250 to 500 words)
-3-4 examples of your work with details of Title, medium, size
-which location you would prefer
-preferred dates of your residency (Minimum period of 3 weeks Maximum 3 months)
(This artist residency program has been created by Sally Lush,an artist and curator with over 30 years of involvement in the arts in New Zealand with experience including exhibiting sculpture and painting, managing retail art galleries, managing community art centres, mentoring artists and curating sculpture exhibitions.)
Please feel free to give me a call to discuss your ideas on 027 260 9486 prior to making your application.