Photo Australia produces PHOTO International Festival of Photography in collaboration with over 40 cultural institutions, museums and galleries. The biennial celebration invites artists, curators, writers, academics and audiences to interrogate major issues of our time through a central theme. The program includes free exhibitions, outdoor displays and artist commissions across Melbourne and Regional Victoria, as well as talks, artist-led workshops and education programs. The inaugural Festival was originally conceived as PHOTO 2020. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic we have rescheduled and relaunched the program as PHOTO 2021, which will take place from 18 February – 7 March 2021.
The Events Producer will work closely with the Artistic Director and PHOTO 2021 partners to produce and facilitate the successful delivery of PHOTO 2021 events. This will include curator or artist talks, guided tours, panel discussions that delve into the 2021 theme ‘The Truth’ and launch and patron events.
The role is part time however it does necessitate a high degree of availability during PHOTO 2021 (17 February to 18 March) as fulltime work will be required.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Term: October 2020 – March 2021
Position: 0.4 EFT (2 days/ 15 hours) increasing to fulltime for 4 weeks from 8 February to 7 March 2021
Salary range: $65,000 - $69,000 per annum pro-rata plus 9.5% superannuation contribution
Reports to: Artistic Director
- Develop and deliver the PHOTO 2021 event program
- Identify and connect with partners and organisations to develop appropriate events and education programs that support the program produced by the Festival
- Collate event copy and images for Festival program (print and digital)
- Brief event speakers on event topic and themes to be addressed
- Plan and deliver preview, fundraising and launch events to appeal to appropriate audience and stakeholder groups
- Liaise with technical staff at venues to coordinate technical requirements and live streaming of events
- Complete risk assessments for events, including Covid-19 safe plans, as required.
- Manage preparation, setup, delivery and pack down of events when required
- Work with Education partners on programming for the Festival including Magnum Photos Student Intensive, workshops and talks
- Oversee the completion of Education Resources and liaise with program partners on events to be included in resource pack.
- Secure additional support or partnerships for events and education programs where necessary
- Assist with the preparation of briefing notes, reports, budgets, Board papers, presentations and related documentation
- Assist in the development and implementation of evaluation frameworks for events and education program
- Manage and brief volunteers for events as required
- Review marketing for accuracy, communicating with event partners as required for clarification and/permission
- Perform other duties as required by Artistic Director, having regard for your skills, training and experience
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Tertiary qualification in arts management or curatorship (or equivalent professional experience) plus a minimum of three years’ experience in events programming
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with a range of stakeholders.
- Experience in writing project proposals, budgets and post-event reports
- A passion for arts and culture, a strong knowledge of and commitment to the contemporary visual arts and a desire to make them accessible to diverse audiences
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively plan, problem-solve and manage deadlines, and work collaboratively within a small team.
- Experience in broadcasting or livestreaming events
To successfully fulfil the responsibilities as outlined, the Producer should demonstrate the following qualities:
- Dynamic, innovative, creative and engaged
- High level efficiency, systematic ability and attention to detail
- A keen networker with an ability to effectively advocate on behalf of an organisation