Established in 2006, Theatreview is committed to reviewing the full range of professional-level performing arts throughout Aotearoa New Zealand. The website is a comprehensive, readily searchable heritage archive of professional performing arts practice nationwide: www.theatreview.org.nz
The Theatreview Trust plans to appoint a Theatre Editor to commission, edit and publish reviews of professional-level theatre in the Auckland region – subject to securing funding.
This is a part-time contract position for 12 months, starting 1 December 2020. Hours are widely variable (before and during festival times are intense), but across a year the estimated average will be 10 to 12 hours per week.
Fee: $15,000 (in monthly instalments of $1,250) plus GST if applicable.
The position is as an independent contractor, responsible to The Theatreview Trust and liaising with the Managing Editor. Colleagues are the Theatre Editor for the rest of New Zealand and the Dance Editor.
As Theatreview’s Theatre Editor for the Auckland region, you will:
- Maintain, develop and lead a pool of diverse Auckland-based voluntary theatre reviewers
- Respond to requests, or identify productions and seek invitations, to review
- Assign reviewers & secure their bookings (2 comps is the standard)
- Access production information & images to prepare production pages
- Upload production page information & images
- Receive, edit, format & upload reviews
- Access reviews published elsewhere; prepare, & upload teasers & links
- Liaise with the Managing Editor regarding news items to be , edited, formated & uploaded
- Maintain mutually supportive relationships with the Managing Editor & Theatre Editor for the rest of New Zealand (Wellington-based), the Dance Editor (Auckland-based) and the Web Master
- Represent Theatreview in arts industry and public forums when appropriate
- Liaise with The Theatreview Trust towards fulfilling its mission and to ensure the continued viability of Theatreview.
- A love of theatre, and enthusiastic commitment to ensuring Auckland theatre productions are comprehensively reviewed on Theatreview
- Excellent writing and editing skills with the ability to let contributing writers retain their own ‘voice’ (Style Guide, Editor Guide and Guidelines for Reviewers provided)
- The ability to organise, manage and self-motivate to work flexibly and meet deadlines
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (interacting with diverse producers, publicists and reviewers, and sometimes audience members)
- A computer with text and image-editing capacity, good storage and back up capacity, good internet connectivity. (Ideally MS Office – and Google Docs for sharing.)
Note: If the successful applicant already reviews for Theatreview, they may continue to do so if they wish.
How to apply
Please send expressions of interest, a CV and a sample of your writing and/or editing skills to:
John Smythe, Managing Editor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 5pm, Thursday 8 October 2020.
(If funding is secured, the selection process will be completed by Friday 30 October 2020.)