Exhibition Curator and Manager
Over the years, Depot Artspace’s adaptability and responsiveness to change have sustained it through the vagaries of life.
While 2020 has thrown us all some major curve balls, we’re facing 2021 with optimism about the difference the arts can make to our future; both here in Aotearoa and to the world.
The galleries have always been part of the Depot’s multidisciplinary creative community and we envisage them as significant to this change for good.
The Depot galleries are part of a creative community with recording studios, a professional development programme for artists, and a publications arm. We are a small committed team with complementary skills which include promotion, design, research and community development. Together we build a profile for the arts as a valued aspect of community and society.
We are seeking an Exhibition Curator and Manager to work with the wider Depot team to provide successful exhibition experiences for exhibitors and visitors. If you are familiar with contemporary NZ arts and arts practice, enjoy building relationships with artists, audiences and volunteers and have a professional approach which includes strong administration skills, value collaboration with other places and projects, we invite you to apply for this position.
Essential Qualities required for the position:
- Passionate about offering outstanding care to Depot visitors with an engaging and warm manner
- Outgoing, adaptable and committed to participating in The Depot’s creative activities
- Able to work collaboratively and independently
- Able to display sound judgment and show initiative
Essential Skills required for the position
- Your experience and skill in curating artists’ exhibitions equips you to create engaging exhibition and event experiences for audience and exhibitors.
- Your demonstrated ability to apply for and raise funds and secure grants supports the sustainability of the galleries.
- Your well-developed interpersonal and administrative skills enables you to provide a high level of service with effective systems.
- The development of an effective group of volunteers and training opportunity for internships enables you to focus on creating a sustainable exhibition operation.
- Excellent oral and written standards characterise your communication.
- Demonstrated ability to build a variety of networks with artists and organisations
- Passion and flexibility characterises the way you go about your work and the need to work extra time on occasion is never a burden.
This is a full time Tuesday to Saturday position commencing late January 2021 based in Devonport, Auckland.