Significant ruptures in global stability, economic structure and daily routines have occurred since the world imploded in 2020.* Much of the fallout has been both miserably anticipated and yet dreadfully unnerving. It’s impossible not to address this surreal feeling of collapse, but it’s also preferably avoided as a topic of dinner conversation. We are seeking project proposals which look with renewed energy upon the position of art in times of crisis, uprising, near-extinction and precarity. Artists, writers and curators have a familiar if unpleasant relationship with instability. Perhaps in using innovative methods of thinking and creating we may share bold hopes for the future or return to old ways of healing that help us to metabolise the present.
*or maybe they’ve been occurring since Y2K, or since when Tiger Woods was caught cheating on his wife in 2009
The annual call for proposals has been an important part of our programming ever since Enjoy was founded in 2000. As an independent, not-for-profit contemporary art space, we’re committed to supporting exciting and non-commercial artistic projects by emerging and established practitioners.
Enjoy thereby invites proposals for new, ambitious and experimental solo projects, group exhibitions or larger curatorial projects to be programmed between September 2021—March 2022.
Practitioners are encouraged to consider the timeliness and topicality of their project, how this opportunity may distinguish and develop their practice from previous iterations, and wider experimental possibilities around presentation.
Successful proposals will be scheduled between September 2021 to March 2022, in consultation with Enjoy staff. Practitioners will receive artist/writer/curators’ fees, plus curational, logistical, technical and promotional support from staff.
Image: Laura Duffy, !ERROR!, 2020, multi-channel digital video installation, soundtrack by Strange Stains. Image courtesy of Cheska Brown.
How to apply
Please include the following as a single PDF file:
- A one-page explanation of the project you are proposing
- An artistic bio and/or CV.
- Up to seven supporting images.
Please include the following as a sound or video file:
- An audio or audiovisual outline of the project you are proposing (up to six minutes, exported as either an MP3 or MP4 file).
- A short PDF file which contains an artistic bio or CV, and up to seven relevant supporting images if not already included within the audio/video file.
Supporting images may include working images or drawings, images of previous work, or other contextually relevant material.
Please note that Enjoy only accepts proposals for new projects and initiatives. Proposals for projects that have previously been exhibited or developed for other art spaces in Aotearoa will not be considered. Please make contact if you wish to resubmit an idea that was previously proposed (but not accepted) by Enjoy Contemporary Art Space to see whether it may be suitable for resubmission.
- Please email your proposal as a clearly named single file (.pdf) or as a clearly named sound or video file (.mp3/.mp4) plus attachment to Vanessa Mei Crofskey, Director, email@example.com by the closing date.
- You will receive an email confirming that your submission has been received.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your proposal by the end of March.
Further questions about the proposal process can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions should be received no later than 11:59, Wednesday 3rd March 2021.