OrganisationDame Nellie Melba Opera Trust
Closes26 Feb 2021
Posted on9 Feb 2021
Work typePart time employment
Work classificationDesign, Digital & Technology, Marketing & Media
Purpose of the position
An outcomes-focussed Communications Coordinator will support the Communications Manager to implement a Communications Strategy that supports program delivery and fundraising. You're a trouble shooter and problem solver with a can-do attitude, and can use understanding of print, design, web-based programs, social media platforms, email marketing and data analysis to streamline internal processes and enhance the public face of Melba Opera Trust.
Experience in a communications or marketing role, strong attention to detail and highly developed verbal and written skills are essential. This hands-on role reports to the Communication Manager and works closely with the Alumni Coordinator, Administration & Events Coordinator and Program Coordinator. With a small organisation staff of nine, this role will be collaborative in nature.
This role is part-time at 0.4 FTE (2 days per week), located in the Melba Opera Trust office in Southbank (within the Melbourne Arts precinct).
About Melba Opera Trust
Melba brings together exceptional young artists, world class professionals and visionary supporters to prepare a newgeneration of Australian artists for the international opera stage. Our global network of experts offers outstandingindividuals a bespoke program of artistic, professional and personal development to create the complete artist.
Melba’s small and dedicated team drive the organisation’s mission through two key functions:
- Delivering a world-class training program to outstanding young Australian opera singers and repetiteurs; and
- Establishing a sustainable financial future by growing a capital endowment through fundraising
You are required to respond to the Skills and Experience AND Essential Qualities and Behaviours section in the position description. Applications which do not address these will not be considered.
- Use Adobe Creative Suite – particularly InDesign – as well as Canva to create print-ready and digitally-optimised communications collateral
- Print production
- Typesetting and editing designs from templates
Social Media Support
- Working alongside the Alumni Coordinator to research content
- Creating and optimising images for digital use
- Updating and maintaining our profiles on web-based platforms
- Website updates, using WordPress CMS (experience preferred)
- Vimeo and YouTube
- Webinar and livestream
- Social media scheduling
- Google Analytics
- Social media analysis
- WordPress and heatmapping
- EDM outcomes and behaviours
- Overview of communications activity that supports fundraising and program implementation
- Identify potential angles and opportunities from project briefs
- Media release drafting
- Organisation skills
- Coordinate image library
- Implement the digital media content plan
- Communications calendar coordination - keeping the Communications Manager accountable for monthly and annual deliverables
Skills and Experience Required
- Relevant tertiary communications or design qualification or equivalent industry experience.
- At least 12 months experience in a similar role, preferably within an arts environment (not essential).
- Experience and/or interest in the arts or philanthropy.
- Experience using the Adobe Creative Suite / Creative Cloud, especially InDesign and Acrobat.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills including excellent grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Proficiency in Excel spreadsheets.
- A methodical approach to tasks with good organisational processes
- Ability to translate objectives and tasks to other team members to drive best outcomes though collaboration.
- The ability to work to deadline whilst managing multiple tasks
- Ability to work within a small team
Essential Qualities and Behaviours
- Excellent written skills
- Influential communicator with diverse stakeholders
- Creative vision and a love of great design
- An optimistic can-do attitude with an appetite for problem solving
- Sense of humour
- Ability to work in fast paced environment and adapt to change
- Forward thinker
Applications must include your CV and a cover letter of no more than 2 pages, addressing the Skills and Experience AND Essential Qualities and Behaviours outlined in the position description above. Applications which do not address these will not be considered.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Communications Coordinator [Your Name]’ in the subject line. Enquiries can be directed to Amy Constable via email email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Melba Opera Trust team. Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.