The National Publicist is responsible for the delivery of the NZIFF publicity strategy and particularly responsible for gaining maximum media coverage of Whānau Mārama: New Zealand International Film Festival 2021 with a focus on national, international and Auckland-specific media across all channels – print, radio, television and online. This role also manages the Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin and Regional publicists.
Required Skills and Experience Include:
- Superior writing skills and extensive experience writing media releases
- Extensive knowledge of media in New Zealand and established media contacts and relationships. Experience with film media is an advantage
- Superior verbal and interpersonal communication skills including confidence in cold calling media
- Experience managing a team and working effectively with remote team members
- Ability to identify media angles and pitch effectively to media
- Excellent computer literacy including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook and experience using project management, scheduling or CRM software/platforms
- Strong research skills
- Highly organised with excellent attention to detail
- Experience working autonomously and as part of a team
- Able to work effectively under pressure
- A Positive and outgoing attitude
- A strong interest in, and knowledge of, film industry and culture is an advantage
- Full, clean drivers licence
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Manager to develop national publicity plan for the 2021 film festival
- Work with New Zealand filmmakers and film publicists to develop media plans for New Zealand films (this is shared with the Wellington Publicist)
- with the curators of the Incredibly Strange, Square Eyes and Animation NOW! programmes to develop and deliver publicity plans
- Write and distribute media releases in accordance with national publicity plan and specific film and programme publicity plans
- Identify angles and interview opportunities for media to gain coverage of films within the festival
- Organise interviews for media with filmmakers via phone, Skype and in-person
- Manage distribution of assets to media
- Update and maintain NZIFF’s media database
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Manager and Partnerships Consultant to identify appropriate film alignments for sponsors and partners
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Manager and Partnerships Consultant to ensure sponsors/partners requirements are met in relation to media
- Identify additional opportunities to gain promotion of the 2021 film festival
- Coordinate promotional opportunities with media outlets
- Provide additional copy/editorial for use by wider Promotions Team including but not limited to, advertorial, website, social media, audience development and EDMs
- Assist with the production of the NZIFF programme catalogues including copywriting, collating material and proofing
- In consultation with the Communications and Marketing Manager, compile guest lists for events and assist with hosting at events
- Devise media and communications plans for events during NZIFF 2021 including events photography/videography plan
- Contribute to delivery of Q&A and workshop sessions including identifying appropriate Moderators
- Develop media interview plans for visiting filmmakers and escort filmmakers to media interviews
- Assist with hosting visiting filmmakers
- Manage publicity team ensuring the Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin and Regional publicists are clear about their roles and delivering according to expectations
- Together with the Communications and Marketing Manager and Publications Editor, manage the workload and priorities of the Auckland Communications & Marketing Assistant
- Play a senior role in ensuring the smooth running of the film festival in Auckland
Term of Employment
This is a full-time contract position for the period of 16 August to 14 November 2021.
This position is based in Auckland.
How to apply
Please first request the full job description and further application details by emailing email@example.com.
Applications close 5pm, Tuesday 27 July. Early applications are encouraged with interviews likely to commence prior to the date of closing. Shortlisted candidates will be notified no later than Wednesday 28 July.
Please note that samples of written work and campaigns will be requested.
Applicants for this position must have NZ residency or must already hold a valid NZ work visa.