TOUCH COMPASS BOARD TRUSTEE
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Touch Compass are seeking additional Trustees to join the Board as we enter an exciting new stage of our journey
What we’re seeking
Our Board of Trustees is responsible for providing effective governance of the company including contributing to the organisation’s vision, values and kaupapa, and strategic and artistic direction
- Trustees need to connect with our vision and be prepared to apply their skills, talents, and experience to support our kaupapa by providing effective guidance and decision-making
- The Board is seeking to diversify, to better support a refreshed vision that combines a stronger emphasis on disability leadership with the desire to better support multiple voices and perspectives, including Māori and Pasifika
- We’re seeking new Trustees who bring a diverse mix of skills, qualities, and personal and professional experience, together with a desire to learn and support our vision
We welcome enquiries from everyone and openly encourage people with lived experience of disability to apply
Who we are
Touch Compass is Aotearoa’s leading professional disability-led performance arts company that creates high quality performance and art activations.
- We create and produce annual programmes of artistic work that explore the intersection between disability, Māori and Pasifika as our unique contribution to the arts
- Our performances reflect disability aesthetics and practices that are culturally informed
- Founded by dancer, choreographer and artistic director Catherine Chappell in the 90s and now 25 years old, we have performed nationally and internationally, and collaborated with a wide range of creatives from diverse backgrounds over our 25 year history
- We encourage our audiences to engage with new readings of the disabled body and broaden their cultural understandings
See the Touch Compass website for more about us
Touch Compass is a registered New Zealand charitable trust. Our most recent annual report is available on the New Zealand Charities Commission website: https://www.register.charities.govt.nz/Charity/CC23088
The Board meets formally every 1-2 months either online virtual meetings or when applicable, in-person
- Trustees are expected to participate in conversations in between Board meetings and may attend additional meetings if they agree to support specific Board initiatives (e.g. a sub-committee, recruitment campaign etc)
- Trustees are also encouraged to attend Touch Compass events
- Our Trustee positions are voluntary (unpaid).
- We ask Trustees to commit to a minimum 2-year term, for continuity, preferably 3 years to accommodate board rotation and succession
- The time commitment varies, but as rough guide we estimate Trustees need to commit up to 4-5 hours a month including meeting and preparation
How to apply
Your Expression of Interest.
If you want to apply to begin your journey as a Trustee with us, you will need to do the following:
- Make a written covering letter or a video describing how you have the skills, experience and knowledge we are looking for. It really helps if you tell us how your skills, experience and knowledge fit with Touch Compass
- You also need to include in your covering letter or video, your contact details and attach along with the letter/video a short CV highlighting your relevant skills and experience
- Once ready to apply, please send the covering letter or video to Jon Tamihere-Kemeys, Kaiwhakahaere Matua - General Manager via the email address: jon(at)touchcompass.org.nz - replace (at) with @
Applications close: Monday 11 October 2021 at 5pm
Touch Compass reserves the right to appoint suitable candidates in advance of the closing date. Apply early!