Education Manager Job Advert (PPT)
Job title: Education Manager
Reports to: General Manager
Responsible for: Museum Educators and Volunteers
Contract: Permanent Part Time - 25 hours/week. Ability to work evening and weekend events when reasonably requested.
Salary: up to $35/hr, commensurate with experience.
Full job description: https://www.historicalvillage.org.nz/employmentandinternships
About Howick Historical Village:
Howick Historical Village (HHV) is owned and operated by the Howick & Districts Historical Society as a key visitor attraction that tells the story of Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland. The Society is managed as a not-for-profit entity with full charitable status. Please see historicalvillage.org.nz for more about HHV.
This is a Permanent Part time team leader role reporting directly to the Village Manager, leading a team of museum educators and volunteers to provide a memorable learning experience for school groups and visitors. You will lead the planning and delivery of our educational programme and manage school bookings.
Some occasional classroom-based teaching will be required, but the primary focus is to make best use of our unique historical environment to deliver education in a practical, hands-on, and actively enjoyable way.
Some flexible working will be required to cover evening, weekend, and holiday events.
About the role
- Responsible for recruitment, retention, training, and development of education staff.
- Responsible for operations and administration – booking process, record keeping and reporting.
- Develop targeted resources to support schools learning outcomes which are engaging and accessible to all and support the newly refreshed New Zealand curriculum.
- Lead application for ELC (LEOTC) funding.
- Responsible for developing an interactive approach to engage visitors.
- Responsible for managing department budgets.
- You will work closely and co-operatively with other team leaders and staff to collectively ensure the smooth running of the museum.
- Museum education degree or professional teaching qualification (strongly preferred). Extensive experience in either are will also be considered.
- Experience understanding and applying principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and honouring the Treaty of Waitangi particularly in sharing stories and information connected to Māori culture and heritage.
- Proven experience of working with schools’ groups and individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience of delivering educational outreach initiatives to a variety of audiences.
- Skills and Abilities
- An effective communicator who can interact with diverse individuals in a small and large group settings representing the Museum to external customers.
- Ability to priorities tasks and meet deadlines effectively.
- Ability to evaluate and recommend changes to existing educational programme to ensure we are supporting the refreshed New Zealand Curriculum.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good time management, coordination, and organisational skills.
- Strong creative and visionary abilities to add value to current or future educational programmes.
- Good problems solving and decision-making skills.
- Solid computer-proficiency skills and abilities in Microsoft outlook, word and excel.
- Ability to work well and participate fully in a team environment.
- Show initiative and enthusiasm.
- Physical Demands
- To present in period costume to schools and the public in all weathers.
- Physically able to lift medium and heavy objects and awareness of correct lifting and handling procedures.
You must be eligible to work in New Zealand for this role. The successful applicant will need to return a satisfactory Police Record Check before commencement of employment.
Closing: Wednesday 17 November 2021 at 5 pm. Apply by submitting a C.V. and cover letter through Seek.co.nz.
If you want to join our team and help bring history to life for our visitors, we want to hear from you.
How to apply
Full job description available on: https://www.historicalvillage.org.nz/employmentandinternships.
Please apply through the corresponding posting on Seek.co.nz by submitting a cover letter and C.V.