Milford Galleries is a leading contemporary art dealer with galleries based in both Dunedin and Queenstown. We represent many of New Zealand’s major artists and maintain client relationships throughout the country and worldwide.
Handling and installing artwork is a specialised role and we are looking for someone with the right combination of creative and practical hands-on skills and experience to join our high performing team.
As Gallery Technician you will be involved in a wide variety of tasks including all aspects of installing and maintaining our monthly exhibitions (in both the Dunedin and Queenstown galleries) as well as the management of our stockroom and incoming / outgoing artworks.
The successful applicant must have a high level of physical fitness and health, be fully vaccinated against covid-19, hold a valid NZ driver’s licence and have the ability to work in Queenstown for 3-4 days every 4 weeks. Skills and attributes needed to be successful in this role are:
- Creative sector or related trade (carpentry, joinery, etc.) experience and skills.
- Highly organised and able to balance multiple priorities, manage workload peaks and meet strict service deadlines.
- Effective problem-solving abilities.
- Careful tidy worker who is accurate, has a meticulous eye for detail and an appetite for continuous learning.
- Calm, patient and adaptable in a quickly changing environment.
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of projects as well as being an engaged and contributing team member.
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to work with a diverse range of people.
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety requirements for safe building practices, correct lifting techniques, etc.
- Basic computer skills.
- A knowledge and interest in contemporary artists and practice would be beneficial.
This is a Dunedin based, permanent full time position of 40 hours per week (Monday – Friday but may have requirement for occasional weekend work). Some flexibility of hours is available for the right candidate. Anticipated start date is mid-late January.