Objectspace is the leading public gallery in Aotearoa dedicated to the fields of craft, design and architecture. It delivers an annual programme of exhibitions and publishing, and more than 50 free public programmes and events. The gallery also delivers extensive services to the craft/object sector.
Objectspace is looking for an individual to fill the role of Gallery Assistant. This position is part-time, three days a week with additional evening and weekend work. This is an exciting opportunity to join the Objectspace whānau working across front-of-house, events and exhibition changeovers. The successsful candidate with undertake work spanning visitor engagement, events and hosting, facilitating Objectspace's bookstore and junior technician responsibilities during changeovers.
- To be the first point of contact for all visitors to Objectspace, maintaining a warm, welcoming and highly communicative front-of-house
- To invigilate Objectspace exhibitions, including: daily exhibition set up, providing supporting information to visitors, answering questions and overseeing the safe engagement of objects and artworks
- To maintain daily front-of-house duties including COVID-19 processes, general cleaning, maintaining book store stock, processing sales and responding to phone and email enquiries
- To assist with the set up and delivery of exhibition openings, public programmes and other events
- To provide assistance to other staff and senior technicians during exhibition changeover
The candidate will:
- Have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to relate to a wide range of people with warmth
- Be passionate about the arts, and supporting visitors to Objectspace
- Value the opportunity to work in a small dynamic team
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of, and commitment to, the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and be committed to working within bicultural and multi-cultural frameworks
- Hold a tertiary qualification in a related field and have proven work experience of more than one year in a relevant role
- This is a permanent part-time position (no less than 20 hours per week). Commencing in early 2022.
- Be legally entitled to work in Aoteaora
- Be available for regular weekend and evening work