Te Papa Press is the museum's publishing imprint, producing books on New Zealand's culture, history and natural world.
The Natural Environment Team of Te Papa is commencing production of one of Te Papa's most ambitious publications on New Zealand Fishes. The Natural Environment technical editors and Te Papa Press need you to manage the editorial and production process to produce the publication on time and on budget to the agreed standard.
You will be part of Te Papa Press along with an Image Retoucher who will be recruited to support this production. You will also work closely with a Publishing Coordinator who will be reporting to the Natural Environment technical editors.
This position is 30 hours per week until June 2014.
To be successful in this position you will have:
- A thorough working knowledge, based on sound experience in a reputable publishing house, of editorial principles and practice, both at the micro level of copy-editing and textual editing and the macro level of structural editing.
- A good understanding of modern book production methods and technology, from digital imaging and design, through pre-press including digital pre-press, to print.
- Understanding of quality and quality control in imaging, design, and print, especially four-colour printing.
- Well-founded project management skills, including competencies in effective time management and budget management.
- A sound grasp of English grammar, syntax, spelling and punctuation.
- The ability to work with authors constructively and diplomatically on revision and rewriting.
- Sound knowledge of copyright principles.Experience of managing editorial and production staff both in-house and freelance, locally and overseas, to achieve the required quality standards
- Experience of writing effective design briefs and managing the design process, including critical analysis of type, images and layout.
See Job Description for details