Curator, Programmes and Events
The Dowse Art Museum is looking for an curator/public programmes coordinator to join our team.
The Dowse is a nationally significant contemporary art museum as well as the public art gallery for Lower Hutt city. Opened in 1971, The Dowse has forged a reputation for presenting quality exhibitions and events with a special focus on craft and design. Today, our programming is diverse and exciting, presenting works by local and international artists to a range of audiences. Visitors expect to be challenged by our programmes, and we aim to explore new ideas and initiatives with insight, imagination, and intelligence.
This is a permanent fulltime position.
What we’re looking for
This role will suit an energetic and imaginative person who is interested in both curating exhibitions and organising public programme events that complement and extend our shows.
The Curator, Programmes and Events has particular responsibilities for family-focused programming in our Kids Gallery and for the organisation of the annual Big Day Dowse event.
The person we’re looking for will have:
- Superb communication skills, in person and in their written material
- Lots of initiative, and the ability to manage their own workload and balance the demands of numerous projects
- The desire to find new, smart ways to engage our visitors
- Experience with either curating exhibitions or organising events, and ideally both (or be able to learn quickly)
- Knowledge of contemporary art, design or craft practices in New Zealand and ideally networks in these sectors.
Full information is available in the position description.
What we can offer
The Dowse team is close-knit, skilled and enthusiastic. You’ll get lots of freedom, but also guidance on what we’re trying to achieve as a team. You will work closely with our Senior Curator and curatorial team, as well as our Exhibitions and Communications managers.
You will be organising public programme events throughout the year, developing your own exhibitions, and facilitating touring exhibitions. The Dowse also runs a strong touring programme of our own, and your exhibitions will become part of this.
You will receive plenty of support for professional development, and be encouraged to contribute to the wider New Zealand gallery and museum sector.
To apply please send the following by email to email@example.com by 9am Monday 25 February 2013.
- a CV of no more than 3 pages
- a covering letter that shows how your qualifications, experience and interests match with this role
- a completed application form (available from http://www.huttcity.govt.nz/en/Your-Council/Working-at-council/Applying-for-a-job/)