NZ Writers College Short Story Competition
THE NZ WRITERS’ COLLEGE 2012 Annual Short Story Award
This competition is to acknowledge excellence in creative writing in the Short Story genre. The contest is open to any emerging writer residing in New Zealand or Australia, who has had fewer than four stories/articles published in any format (print or digital).
- First Prize: $1 000.00 plus entry into one of our short courses
- Second Prize: $ 500.00
- People's Choice Award $ 250.00
Top three entries will be published on our college site and the top five winners will receive editorial comments on their submitted works.
THEME: Full Circle
DEADLINE: 30 September 2012
GUIDELINES FOR ENTRIES:
- See full details here.
- Entry is limited to New Zealand and Australian residents only.
- Entrants must submit a story of maximum word count: 2000 words. Any entries exceeding the word count by 50 words will not be considered.
- We aim to support and acknowledge beginner writers, so we only accept stories from writers who have been published fewer than four times in any genre, in any publication (for payment or otherwise). This does not include articles for community or work newsletters where the circulation is under 1000.
- Stories must not have been previously published. Entrants must own full copyright to the story submitted.
- Only one story per entrant is allowed.
- Only e-mail submissions are acceptable, with stories attached as Word Documents. Mark your entry clearly with the subject line: NZWC Annual Short Story Competition, and submit according to rules below.
- If you have not received an acknowledgement of your submission within three days, please re-send your entry.
- All submissions must be sent to Nichola Meyer: Nichola@nzwriterscollege.co.nz
- Your first page of your Word document must include the story title, your name, email address, and total number of words of the entry.
- Do not include your name on any page of your story, except the title page. All entries will be judged blind.
- Make sure your story has been edited and polished according to tips and guidelines provided on our college site under “Writing Resources”.
The top five entries will be assessed by our panel of award-winning international writers who tutor at NZ Writers’ College.
The 2012 judges are Charlotte Randall, Sonny Whitelaw, Owen Bullock, Paul Smith and Ginny Swart.
CRITIQUES: We unfortunately do not have the time to supply a critique for each submission. If you wish to receive a professional one- to two-page report of your work, please state your requirement on your title page. We charge $45.00 per critique.
Original, creative writing